At the end of the school day, it’s so easy to fall into the “how was your day?” routine. That’s what I was usually asked when I was a kid, and I’m pretty sure my answer was always “fine” or “ok.” There might’ve been plenty of interesting things going on at school, but as a quiet child, if I wasn’t specifically asked, I didn’t share – simple as that! But whether your kids are naturally chatty or on the quiet side, asking specific questions always helps to get conversation flowing. With that in mind, I made a set of after school questions exclusively for HowDoesShe subscribers that will help get your kids talking (and are really fun, too)!

This is a really easy printable – you simply print the questions out, cut them into strips, and put them in a jar. Every day after school, you can choose a new question to ask. If you drive your kids to and from school, you could keep the question jar in your car. Or, keep it in the kitchen and chat during snack time.

Free printable after school questions - conversation starters to get your kids talking after school : ) Free printable after school questions - conversation starters to get your kids talking after school : )

These questions are really specific so that you can hear about the details of your kids’ day – things that you might not normally think to ask about, and things that they might not think to share.

I can’t say it better than the gals at HowDoesShe did: “Not only will you learn all about their world at school, you’ll open up lines of communication with your child that will build a foundation for strong parent-child communication in the future.”

I hope you and your kids enjoy these as much as I enjoyed making them! : )

Free printable after school questions - conversation starters to get your kids talking after school : ) How to download

These printables were designed by Heather from Chickabug (that’s me!) exclusively for HowDoesShe newsletter subscribers. To get the printables:

{STEP ONE} Sign up for HowDoesShe’s mailing list at www.howdoesshe.com.

{STEP TWO} Check your email for a welcome message from HowDoesShe. The email will include a password and a link. Click on the link and enter the password.

{STEP THREE} Download the printables and enjoy!

• • •

Join the Chickabug mailing list to find out about all our latest free printables!
You can also like Chickabug on Facebook to get updates : )
Free printables from Chickabug!

OLDER POST
NEWER POST

Comments

Wednesday, October 9th, 2013 at 12:31 pm
    Danielle says:
    I love this idea!!! I can't wait to try it with my kids tonight!
      Wednesday, October 9th, 2013 at 1:31 pm
      Yay! I'm glad you like it Danielle! I hope you and you're kids have a great time! : )
    Wednesday, October 9th, 2013 at 3:23 pm
    Michelle says:
    What a sweet idea! Love the communication prompts and the rainbows~!
      Wednesday, October 9th, 2013 at 4:11 pm
      Thanks Michelle! : )
    Thursday, October 10th, 2013 at 8:13 am
    Amanda says:
    I received my password and tried to enter it on their site. It just keeps refreshing the same page and there is no link to the printables. Any suggestions?
      Thursday, October 10th, 2013 at 11:08 am
      Hi Amanda! I'm sorry you are having trouble. I just emailed you a copy! : )
    Sunday, February 16th, 2014 at 6:33 pm
    Melissa says:
    Hi! I just signed up for your newsletter and have received my first emails, but when I click on this link it doesn't give me a link to download the printables (for this and several others that I tried, though some work).

Love all your ideas, though! Thanks for making these available. :)
      Monday, February 17th, 2014 at 11:58 am
      Hi Melissa! Thank you for signing up for the newsletter! I'm not sure why that link gave you trouble but I just emailed you the printables directly. If you run into any more problems please let me know and I'll take care of it right away! : )
    Thursday, September 4th, 2014 at 2:17 pm
    Emily says:
    I love seeing parents take initiative and engage their kids in conversation after school! As a therapist, my only suggestion would be to phrase them as open ended questions to avoid 'yes'/'no' or one word answers. For example, using "Tell us about something creative you did at school today" might elicit more of a response than, "Did you draw something in school today?".

Great idea for more meaningful conversations with your kids or as a family!
    Monday, August 24th, 2015 at 2:29 pm
    Brenda says:
    I would love to have the download of the ask your kids questions. thanks
      Tuesday, August 25th, 2015 at 3:59 pm
      Hi Brenda! Sign up for HowDoesShe's mailing list here: http://www.howdoesshe.com/about/subscribe/
    Wednesday, June 8th, 2016 at 1:58 pm
    Aisha says:
    I am not seeing a password in my welcome email.
      Wednesday, June 8th, 2016 at 3:08 pm
      Sign up for HowDoesShe's newsletter here: http://howdoesshe.com/freebies/exclusive-free-printables/