How to make a diaper cake

June 20, 2013  ·  Posted under baby & bridal showers

I’m happy to welcome a special guest poster – the wonderfully talented Carrie of Four Eyed Girlie! Carrie is a graphic designer (like me!) and one very crafty gal. Today she’s going to show us how to make a beautiful and easy-to-assemble diaper cake!

How to make a diaper cake

Carrie says, “Because I’m a momma myself who appreciates practical things now more than ever, I really enjoy gifting diaper cakes. There are lots of variations on the diaper cake out there, but most are… pretty cheesy. I worked with a woman years ago who taught me how to make gorgeous diaper cakes, and they always turn out cool and pretty darn impressive. It’s fun to play with different ribbons and colors to create a different look for each one. I also like to add a pair of shoes to it as the ‘cake topper.’ Want to make your own? Of course you do! It’s not hard, I promise. Here’s my little ‘how-to’ for you!”

How to make a diaper cake

Here are the supplies you’ll need:

– 60 diapers (I use Pampers Swaddlers, size 2. These diapers seems to have the fewest pre-printed designs on them.)
– Lots of rubber bands
– 2 paper clips
– Ribbon
– Artificial flowers with stems – these are black gerbera daisies
14″ round cardboard cake board
– 1 yard of white tulle
– A hot glue gun and/or double-sided tape
Baby Converse sneakers

How to make a diaper cake

1. Roll one diaper, with the pre-printed design facing inwards, and wrap a rubber band around it. This diaper will be the “core” that all of the diapers are stacked and layered around.

2. Make a stack of 5 diapers, spaced out equally, one on top of the other.

3. Take the stack and wrap it around the “core” diaper. Use a rubber band to secure.

4. Keep enlarging your diaper roll using more stacks of 5 diapers each time. Secure the new diapers with a rubber band between each new addition. Grow the stack until it’s about 12″ in diameter, so it will fill most of your 14″ cake board base.

Follow steps 1-4 a second time to create a second tier for the cake that is slightly smaller than the first tire.

Carrie usually uses about 30-35 diapers for the larger bottom layer, and about 20-25 diapers for the top layer. Diaper count will vary depending on how much spacing there is between diapers.

How to make a diaper cake

5. Stack the cake tiers and wrap your ribbon around the center of each to hide the rubber bands. Cut ribbon to appropriate length.

6. Use a paperclip to attach one end of the ribbon to the rubber band – this will keep the ribbon in place without damaging any of the diapers. Attach double-sided tape to the other end of the ribbon and wrap around to close.

7. Once the ribbon is centered and secured, cut the flowers off their stems. Feed the stem through the center of diaper cake layers. This will keep the layers in place so they don’t separate. Cut any excess stem length from the top so that the top of the stem is flush with the top of the cake.

8. Use a hot glue gun to attach your flowers to the ribbon and to cover the area where the ribbon is attached. When gluing on the flowers, place your hand behind the ribbon to keep the glue from leaking through to the diapers and damaging them. (Be careful, because the glue will be hot!)

How to make a diaper cake

Once your cake is fully assembled, center it on the cake board and place your shoes on top. If you don’t want to use shoes, you can add more flowers, a baby toy, or whatever else the mother-to-be might like. Carrie says, “I love Chucks, and because this particular baby has a daddy who lives in his Converse, I knew this cake had to have a tiny pair!”

How to make a diaper cake

Now you’re ready to wrap the cake! Place the diaper cake on top of the tulle, and gather it at the top. Use a rubber band to secure the tulle once you’ve got it wrapped perfectly. Cover the rubber band by tying a thin ribbon overtop. You can also attach a round rattle for an extra little touch.

Thanks again to Carrie for sharing her awesome diaper cake tutorial with us today! You can visit Carrie at Four Eyed Girlie. May I recommend her beer and pretzel cupcakes? : )

Or for more baby shower ideas, click here!

OLDER POST
NEWER POST

Comments

Thursday, June 20th, 2013 at 7:14 pm
    Larry Facey says:
    Carrie not only did a beautiful job but great tutorial!
      Friday, June 21st, 2013 at 9:20 am
      Hi Larry! I think it's great too. The "cake" is super-cute and the steps are very easy to follow! : )
    Saturday, June 22nd, 2013 at 10:30 am
    Miki says:
    a beautiful two tier diaper cake! I love the fact that you didn't use a plush doll but a pair of sneakers. Its great!
      Sunday, June 23rd, 2013 at 11:22 am
      Hi Miki! I agree! The sneakers are just adorable! : )
    Tuesday, July 16th, 2013 at 10:24 am
    Lynn says:
    Excellent directions! It was so easy and so much fun to make. Thanks loads!
      Tuesday, July 16th, 2013 at 10:45 am
      Hi Lynn! I agree that Carrie did a great job with the step-by-step. I'm so glad you made it and had fun! : )
    Saturday, November 23rd, 2013 at 9:47 am
    Crystal says:
    Thanks for this tutorial! Super helpful! I made this one with red chucks :-)
      Monday, November 25th, 2013 at 1:06 pm
      Yay! I'm glad it was helpful, Crystal! : )
    Saturday, February 8th, 2014 at 3:44 pm
    Carmen Viera says:
    Is there a way to make a diaper cake and for the mom to be able to use the diapers? I want to make one for my daughter-n-law but I want her to be able to use the diapers.
      Monday, February 10th, 2014 at 1:05 pm
      Hi Carmen! You should be able to use the diapers in this diaper cake. The only thing you could do to ruin the diapers and make them unusable is if the hot glue leaks through the ribbon and reaches the diapers. Other than that I can't see why your daughter-in-law wouldn't be able to use the diapers in the this diaper cake. : )
    Wednesday, August 27th, 2014 at 3:01 pm
    Diane Andrews says:
    What an adorable diaper cake! Can't wait to try to make this for my daughter in laws shower! What size Chucks did you use?
      Wednesday, August 27th, 2014 at 3:11 pm
      Hi Diane! Unfortunately I didn't make the cake. I don't know what size Chucks they are. I'm sorry!
    Sunday, July 3rd, 2016 at 11:46 pm
    Christine Chybinski says:
    I love the tutorial about the diaper cake with the chucks on top, I am also a big fan of wearing chucks too and it is the best diaper cake I've seen so far. My niece is having her baby shower this coming weekend and I definitely want to make her a diaper cake and you make it look so easy! I'm not that great on crafts, so I was wondering if you make them and sell them also. I know it is very short notice but I just wanted to reach out and give it a try!! It can't hurt to ask! You did such an amazing job and I wanted to do something for her that is different from everyone else and will stand out, and I know she would love it! If not, sorry for wasting your time but keep up the great work and your work is phenomenal and very beautiful! Great job and good luck in the future
    Christine Chybinski
      Tuesday, July 5th, 2016 at 5:15 pm
      Hi Christine! You're so sweet! I didn't make the diaper cake, though - a guest blogger did. She doesn't sell diaper cakes, although it sounds like maybe she should!
    Wednesday, July 27th, 2016 at 1:08 pm
    Reese says:
    How did she secure the sneakers on top of the cake?
      Wednesday, July 27th, 2016 at 2:48 pm
      I believe they're just sitting on top. :)
    Wednesday, July 27th, 2016 at 3:57 pm
    Melissa says:
    Great tutorial! Where were you able to find black gerbera daisies?