Feb

Watermelon party: Claire is 1!

I just adore this watermelon theme first birthday party that my sweet customer, Carol, threw for her daughter Claire! From the invitation to the sweets, the decor to the favors, every last touch was watermelon themed in pink and green. Carol made the party extra-special with all of her homemade touches, using personalized printables and her Cricut machine!

Watermelon party invitation and thank you card from Chickabug

It all starts with the perfect invitation! Well – the perfect watermelon theme photo shoot, and then the perfect invitation. : ) Claire’s adorable portraits are by Michaela Hansen Photography and the invitation and thank you card are from Chickabug.

Watermelon party wreath, with a printable sign from Chickabug

The watermelon wreaths are just beyond pretty! Carol says, “To make the two watermelon wreaths on the front and back door, I purchased fabric from JoAnn’s Fabric Store, cut them into strips and tied the pieces onto a wreath form.” The signs are printables from Chickabug.

Watermelon party sign from Chickabug & watermelon wreath

Here are more detailed instructions on how to make the watermelon rag wreaths thanks to Carol! “You will need to take one strip of fabric and tie it around one wire of the wire wreath form. You can just do a single tie, not a knot. Begin with the innermost circle and keep tying on fabric strips until it is full. Then, move to the next circle out on the wreath form and continue the process. It will look very strange at first, however, the more strips that are tied on the more it will begin to take shape. For my wreaths, the inside two circle loops were hot pink, with a few black strips added for ‘seeds.’ Then I used light pink on the middle circle, and then green on the outer two circles.”

Watermelon cake balls - with Chickabug printables

The watermelon cake balls – as well as the smash cake, cupcakes, and cookies – were made by Simply Sweet Cakes in Spring, Texas. The watermelon fabrics used throughout the party came from JoAnn’s. The buffet cards are a printable file from Chickabug.

Watermelon party food - with Chickabug printables

Watermelon birthday cake!

Watermelon party cupcakes and cake - with Chickabug printables

Watermelon party food featuring Chickabug printables

The adorable watermelon serving bowls were a bargain find in Target’s dollar aisle.

Watermelon party food featuring Chickabug printables

Watermelon party cookie display featuring Chickabug printables

Watermelon party - the cutest cookies!

Watermelon party cupcakes with Chickabug printables

The cupcake toppers are a printable from Chickabug, and the scalloped backers were homemade from colored card stock. Carol says, “They were all cut at home using my Cricut machine.  I still credit my Cricut for making me turn into a craft crazed lady!  I bought one when they first hit the shelves years ago and I LOVE it!”

Watermelon party drink table

The ribbons on the drink jars came from Hobby Lobby and JoAnn’s. Carol says “I never knew there were so many shades of pink and green!!”

Watermelon party drink table featuring Chickabug printables

Watermelon party drinks featuring Chickabug water bottle labels

Carol served Capri Suns and bottles of water (with waterproof labels from Chickabug) in an oversized pink bucket.

Watermelon party drinks featuring Chickabug water bottle labels

The paper straws and special mason jar lids are from The TomKat Studio Party Shop.

Watermelon party drink display

Watermelon party decorations

To keep guests cool, Carol made fans using watermelon paper plates! She says, “The watermelon paper plate fans were simply made from paper plates I purchased from Walmart. I decorated them with paper cut using my Cricut and ric rac I had laying around in my craft supplies. Then I glued each plate half to a paint stir stick which I painted green and tied with a ribbon. I wish I had a better picture of them. The fans were a hit, especially with an outdoor party in Houston in August!”

Watermelon party - ribbon topiary

The ribbon topiaries were homemade! The pins, ribbon, styrofoam balls, and dowels came from Hobby Lobby, and the cute, pre-painted pots were on sale at Michaels.

Watermelon party decorations

The party poms were purchased online through an Etsy store called Melody’s Pom Pom Shop. Carol says, “I spent DAYS fluffing poms, but in the end, they added a splash of color to outdoor patio and I think they were worth it! I’ve since learned to make them and have been having a blast preparing for my sister’s baby shower!”

Watermelon party decorations

The pink and green polka dotted ballons came from Party City.

Watermelon on a stick!

Watermelon party - bubble bottles featuring Chickabug printables

Carol says, “I purchased the bubbles at Party City, and removed the original label and replaced them with your WAY cuter napkin rings.” : )

Bubble refills!

The bubbles refill container was found at Michael’s, and the vinyl lettering and the small watermelon design were added using a Cricut.

Watermelon party decorations featuring Chickabug printables

Watermelon party goodie bag table featuring Chickabug printables

Watermelon party blowers made using Chickabug printables

I love these party blowers!! Carol says, “I purchased the party blowers very cheap at Walmart and discarded the existing cover for them. I then used my Cricut Elegant Edges cartridge to cut the shape for the back. I took a circle punch and cut a hole large enough to slide down the blower both at the top and bottom and glued Chickabug’s adorable party circles to the front with a pink or green scalloped circle (cut from my Cricut).”

Watermelon party decorations

Watermelon party favors featuring Chickabug printables

Party favors included pink polka dotted sunglasses, watermelon notebooks, and Jolly Ranchers watermelon lip balms – all purchased from the dollar section at Target!

Watermelon party favors featuring Chickabug printables

Watermelon lollipops!

The watermelon lollipops on the favor table came from Oriental Trading Company. Each one was tied a ribbon (from Michael’s), then placed in buckets with styrofoam glued to the inside. Green basket filled covered the styrofoam and made the display look perfect.

Watermelon party favors featuring Chickabug printables

Watermelon party treat bags featuring Chickabug printables

Bags of watermelon candies (from Target) were bagged up in snack size Ziploc bags and finished with printable treat bag labels.

Watermelon party favors featuring Chickabug printables

Watermelon party favors featuring Chickabug printables

To take home their favors, guests used pink and green fabric bags from Michaels. Each bag featured a personalized favor tag from Chickabug.

Watermelon 1st birthday party - printables from Chickabug

A printable banner was hung in the kitchen, and was also used to decorate Claire’s high chair!

Watermelon 1st birthday party - printables from Chickabug

Watermelon party - adorable birthday cake!

Carol says, “Claire’s bib was a last minute thought. I purchased a simple, blank bib from Hobby Lobby and printed off a Chickabug party circle onto iron-on paper.  Just before the party, I ironed on the image and sewed on a bow. I think it turned out great for being so last minute!”

Watermelon birthday party - printables from Chickabug

Claire’s adorable hair bow is from and Jane.

Watermelon Party

Watermelon Party

Thank you SO much, Carol! Happy 1st birthday to Claire! : )

Photography – Michaela Hansen Photography, Houston, Texas
Watermelon theme invitations, thank you cards, water labels & party printables – Chickabug
Watermelon wreaths – Homemade using fabric from JoAnn’s
The watermelon cake balls, smash cake, cupcakes, and cookies – Simply Sweet Cakes in Spring, Texas
Watermelon serving bowls, pink polka dotted sunglasses, watermelon notebooks, and Jolly Ranchers watermelon lip balms – Target’s dollar aisle
Watermelon candy (in favor bags) – Target
Watermelon fabric – JoAnn’s
Ribbons on the drink jars – Hobby Lobby and JoAnn’s
Paper straws and mason jar lids – The TomKat Studio
Watermelon paper plate fans – Homemade using paper plates from Walmart
Ribbon topiary – Homemade using supplies from Hobby Lobby and Michaels
Paper poms – Melody’s Pom Pom Shop
Polka dotted balloons – Party City
Mini bubble bottles – Party City
Bubble refill container – Michael’s, with lettering added using a Cricut
Party blowers – Walmart, decorated with Cricut shapes and printable circles from Chickabug
Bib – Hobby Lobby, decorated with a printable circle from Chickabug
Watermelon lollipops – Oriental Trading Company
Pink and green fabric favor bags – Michaels
Hot pink frames – Hobby Lobby
Hair bow and flip flops – and Jane
Watermelon outfit worn in the invitation pictures – Mary Engelbreit at Zulily
Watermelon bikini worn in the thank you card picture – Mud Pie

This party was featured on Kara’s Party Ideas.

Chickabug watermelon theme party paper goods & printables

Shop for personalized Watermelon Party paper goods and printables here.
Or, check out more Watermelon Party ideas on Pinterest or here on my blog!

Newer Post
Pink lemonade ice cream

Comments

Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    Mindy says:
    So many details! Love how she thought outside the box on how to personalize the bib
    Thursday, February 21st, 2013 at 8:22 pm
    Kim McGuire says:
    Once again you have surpassed yourself...this is such a beautiful party. Thank you for sharing!
    Monday, March 25th, 2013 at 1:42 pm
    Michaela says:
    Could someone please tell me how to make to watermelon wreaths! I have the material and the wreath formers! I have to make these for my little one's 1st bday party!! Any help would be great!! Thank you!
      Tuesday, March 26th, 2013 at 7:00 pm
      Hi Michaela! It's very easy. Carol says, “To make the two watermelon wreaths on the front and back door, I purchased fabric from JoAnn’s Fabric Store, cut them into strips and tied the pieces onto a wreath form.”
      • 3.1.1
        Wednesday, March 27th, 2013 at 7:09 am
        Michaela says:
        I tried tieing the pieces but it doesn't look right. I can't tell if she tied and knotted them or if she looped and pulled. :-( I love those wreaths and was really hoping I could figure it out
        • 3.1.1.1
          Sunday, April 7th, 2013 at 10:35 pm
          Carol says:
          So sorry, I just saw this post about how to make the wreath! In order to begin, you will need to take one strip of fabric and tie it around one wire of the wire wreath form. I began with the inner most circle. Repeat this for each circle until the wire is completely full and then move to the next circle out on the wreath form and continue the process. It looked very strange at first, however, the more strips that are tied on the more it began to take shape. I tied them around the wire as you would begin to tie your shoe. The more fabric strips you tie side by side, the more secure each strip remains and therefore you do not need to worry about them coming off. I used a different color fabric for each loop of the circle. For example, the inside two circle loops of the form were hot pink, then light pink on the middle circle and then the green for the rind on the outter two circles. I hope I haven't confused you more!! :)
          • 3.1.1.1.1
            Monday, April 8th, 2013 at 1:02 pm
            You are so sweet, Carol!! Thank you so much for this! : )
    Friday, April 19th, 2013 at 4:06 pm
    Casey says:
    Where did she get those hot pink frames? LOVE them but don't even know what to call them to search online!
      Monday, April 22nd, 2013 at 2:10 pm
      Carol says:
      The pink frames were purchased at Hobby Lobby! If they aren't already on sale, check their ads as they have a great coupon to use to make them even more reasonable. The frames are precious. I still use them in my daughters room.
    Saturday, April 27th, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    Rose says:
    I love all the ideas! Keep creating!
    Tuesday, May 7th, 2013 at 2:55 pm
    Stephanie says:
    Can you tell me what size pink circles you used to create the watermelon fans? Thanks!
      Tuesday, May 7th, 2013 at 9:04 pm
      Carol says:
      The fans were made using green paper plates, however, I did use light pink and dark pink paper for the center. I apologize, but I cannot recall what size the circles were for the center of the plates. I played around with my circle cutter until the shapes looked proportional. Sorry I can't give you a specific measurement.
      • 6.1.1
        Thursday, May 9th, 2013 at 5:30 pm
        Stephanie says:
        Thanks, Carol! Sounds like I'll be playing with the circle cutter tonight!
    Wednesday, May 15th, 2013 at 9:29 pm
    Lynn says:
    Oh my this has to be the CUTEST Birthday theme ever !!! I think I smiled through this entire post ! Claire is just ADORABLE !! Thanks so much for sharing with us. I can't wait till my niece comes tomorrow I just have to show her this post !!
      Friday, May 17th, 2013 at 3:27 pm
      Thank you Lynn!! I really appreciate that (and so will Carol, Claire's mom)! : )
    Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 at 10:38 am
    Gwen Newport says:
    To make the watermelon wreath how long are the strips of fabric.
      Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 at 5:46 pm
      Hi Gwen! The strips should be about 10" long. : )
    Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 at 1:31 pm
    Lisa says:
    hello can you tell me what program you use to get that watermelon from. please
      Thursday, October 10th, 2013 at 10:51 am
      Hi Lisa! I drew the watermelon with Adobe Illustrator. : )
    Wednesday, February 26th, 2014 at 4:05 pm
    Jackie says:
    Carol...where is that sweet watermelon dress from pictures in her invitation??
      Thursday, February 27th, 2014 at 12:36 pm
      Hi Jackie! I'll answer this in case Carol doesn't see your comment for awhile. You can find the dress from the invitation here. Hope that helps! : )
    Wednesday, April 16th, 2014 at 12:23 pm
    Jackie says:
    What recipe did she use for watermelon juice. I've never made it before and kinda scared to use a random "untested" recipe.
      Wednesday, April 16th, 2014 at 4:36 pm
      Hi Jackie! I'm not sure which recipe Carol used but I found one that seems reliable here. I hope that helps! : )
    Sunday, May 4th, 2014 at 2:45 pm
    Lisa says:
    Any idea where she got that outfit in the thank you card?! I NEED that for my daughter for her party! LOL!
      Monday, May 5th, 2014 at 9:32 am
      Hi Lisa! Isn't it adorable? You can buy it here. Hope that helps! : )
    Friday, May 9th, 2014 at 11:02 am
    Julie says:
    I love this! Definitely stealing many of these ideas for my daughter's first birthday! Can I ask how long you cut the fabric for the rag wreath? They look to be about 1 inch wide pieces but how long did they need to be? Thanks so much for the wonderful inspiration!
      Friday, May 9th, 2014 at 11:03 am
      Julie says:
      oops, I just saw that you noted the strips should be 10" long! Thank you :)
      • 13.1.1
        Friday, May 9th, 2014 at 1:58 pm
        Hi Julie! Let me know if you have any other questions! : )
        • 13.1.1.1
          Monday, May 12th, 2014 at 12:49 am
          Julie says:
          How much fabric did you use of each color? I bought half a yard each but it doesn't look full enough? Should the knots be on top of one another? I think I definitely need more fabric... Was just curious what worked for you 😊
          • 13.1.1.1.1
            Monday, June 9th, 2014 at 12:35 am
            Kelli says:
            I see the fabric strips should be about 10" long but about how much fabric is needed for each color to make the wreath?
          • 13.1.1.1.2
            Monday, June 9th, 2014 at 12:36 am
            Kelli says:
            How much fabric was used to make the wreath?
          • 13.1.1.1.3
            Monday, June 9th, 2014 at 12:37 am
            Kelli says:
            How much fabric did you use?
          • Monday, June 9th, 2014 at 11:29 am
            Hi Kelli! Here's a tutorial on how to make a rag wreath that should help: http://blog.chickabug.com/2012/03/how-to-make-a-sock-monkey-rag-wreath.html
    Monday, June 9th, 2014 at 12:40 am
    Kelli says:
    Sorry for the duplicate questions. It was telling me my comment wasn't posted.
    Sunday, July 20th, 2014 at 6:49 am
    Jennifer says:
    Such an awesome party and very well put together! I across your page while searching for bubble station ideas. My son's 2nd birthdat party is next weekend and I'm having one for his modern train theme I'm doing. I was wondering if you used store bought bubbles for the refill pitcher or if you used a homemade recipe, and if it was homemade which one did you use? Also, was wondering about the bubble wands and where you bought them and about how many did you buy. Thank you!
      Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014 at 9:44 am
      Hi Jennifer! I'm not sure if Claire's mom Carol used store bought bubble refill or a homemade recipe. Sorry!

1. What's new Wednesday {3.6.13} | Chickabug says:
    Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 at 8:22 pm
    [...] Claire’s watermelon 1st birthday party was featured on Kara’s Party Ideas! [...]
  2. Melancia | LindezasLindezas says:
    Monday, May 27th, 2013 at 3:42 pm
    [...] Via (obrigada Lec!) [...]
  3. birthday planning » a little of everything says:
    Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 at 11:12 am
    [...] (photo source here) [...]
  4. Great summer party idea: A bug spray station! | Chickabug says:
    Tuesday, July 16th, 2013 at 10:29 am
    [...] PS. Check out a cute DIY idea for how to make paper fans from paper plates as part of Claire’s watermelon party! [...]
  5. Happy Watermelon Day National Watermelon Day Round-Up! says:
    Friday, August 2nd, 2013 at 9:59 am
    [...] You can find instructions for this darling watermelon wreath at Chickabug. It’s super easy and the result looks custom and [...]
  6. 10 Awesome Kids Birthday Party Ideas | Brownie Bites | Tales, Trips, Tastes, and Tinkers says:
    Friday, September 6th, 2013 at 7:16 am
    […] Watermelon Party from the Chickabug blog - Love at first sight!  I have no reason to throw a watermelon party, but I want to anyway after […]
  7. Happy Watermelon Day National Watermelon Day Round-Up! says:
    Wednesday, January 1st, 2014 at 12:43 pm
    […] You can find instructions for this darling watermelon wreath at Chickabug. It’s super easy and the result looks custom and […]
  8. Top 20 blog posts of 2013 | Chickabug says: