Starfish Garland

Don’t these starfish look expensive? I think they look like something you’d find in an upscale shop at the beach! So I was surprised to find out they’re actually homemade salt dough ornaments, which you can make for pennies. This idea is courtesy of Blythe at Desperate Craftwives, who started with a classic salt dough (recipe here), and came up with an easy decorating method for her starfish design. All you need is a toothpick!

Starfish Garland

The little toothpick dots along the edges of the starfish make it look so real! All strung together on jute, the starfish ornaments make a lovely garland for a nautical inspired Christmas tree. You could also use the garland at a mermaid party or an under the sea party. Or, leave the ornaments separate for on your Christmas tree, or tie them onto party favors!

Starfish Garland

For more on this project, visit Desperate Craftwives!

Reposted with permission from Desperate Craftwives. Thank you Blythe!

Mermaid theme party paper goods & printables from Chickabug

Shop for personalized Mermaid party paper goods and printables here.
Or, check out more Mermaid party ideas on Pinterest or here on my blog!

Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 at 5:49 pm
    Blythe says:
    Thanks for featuring this project! There are so many things you can do with salt dough!
    Thursday, July 4th, 2013 at 12:51 am
    christian osorio says:
    I love these! What is acrylic sealant?
      Thursday, July 4th, 2013 at 12:47 pm
      Hi Christian! I love them too! To learn more about the step-by-step process for the garland please see Blythe's awesome original post. : )
    Saturday, March 7th, 2015 at 4:32 am
    Athena Miel's Balloons says:
    Wow, these really looked real! I love it, and it doesn't cost a lot compared if you'd buy a real one on a store. Great artwork here, thank you so much for sharing. :)
    Wednesday, August 5th, 2015 at 7:42 pm
    Natania says:
    Hi! So I really love these! I'm going to be an RA at college and my floor theme is Under-the-Sea. I was just curious how durable these star fish are. Are they very easily broken?
      Monday, August 10th, 2015 at 9:31 am
      Hi Natania! I don't think they are easily broken but they aren't meant to be permanent. Hope that helps! : )
    Tuesday, March 29th, 2016 at 8:43 pm
    Jen says:
    I made these and hung the garland in my pool deck. It rained a couple days later and they all fell off. I followed the directions listed so I don't know what went wrong. Has anyone had this problem? If so, do you have any suggestions on how to make it work? I really love this idea and it looked amazing but I don't want to have to replace them each time it rains.
    Saturday, May 21st, 2016 at 10:07 am
    Melissa says:
    Could these go outside?
      Saturday, May 21st, 2016 at 1:15 pm
      I wouldn't recommend leaving them outside in inclement weather - I don't think they'd hold up.