Sep

How much food and drinks to serve at a party

How much food and drinks to serve at a party

Oh y’all… I just love a chart. I could not resist making this handy-dandy guide to how much food and drinks to serve at a party, because I know it’s an issue that comes up all the time when you’re entertaining! How many drinks should you serve? How many cupcakes should you buy if there are 20 people coming? How many appetizers do you need for a cocktail party? How many fruit platters do you need at a cookout? So many questions!

I found a few answers thanks to a little write-up in Real Simple magazine – that’s where I got the idea to make a chart, because the information was great, but I thought it would be much nicer in graphic format. (Everything’s better when you make it into a chart, don’t you think?) Then I googled and researched and compared to get the rest of the numbers. I hope this helps you out the next time you’re planning a party menu! : )

And now that you’re all set on food… check out my shop for personalized invitations, water labels, party printables, and lots more to make your party fabulous!

Comments

Thursday, September 20th, 2012 at 5:03 pm
    Shelley says:
    Brilliant! Only you could make something so practical so pretty. :) Such a cute guide! :)
      Thursday, September 20th, 2012 at 8:56 pm
      Thanks Shelley!! ♥
    Thursday, September 20th, 2012 at 5:55 pm
    Ann in PA says:
    Thanks! This is a great resource.
      Thursday, September 20th, 2012 at 8:58 pm
      You're so welcome Ann! : )
    Thursday, September 20th, 2012 at 8:47 pm
    Lisa @hooplapalooza says:
    Oh I am so LOVIN' this! :) Thanks Heather!
    Friday, September 21st, 2012 at 4:51 am
    Vika says:
    Thank U very much for this post! I read your blog every day and very enjoy it. U rock!
      Friday, September 21st, 2012 at 10:16 am
      Thanks Vika!! That just makes my day : )
    Friday, September 21st, 2012 at 8:56 am
    Margot Madison says:
    This is a wonderful idea. Thanks so much for making helpful information so beautiful!
    Friday, September 21st, 2012 at 1:47 pm
    Julie Anne Rhodes says:
    This is such an awesome chart! Sometimes I cook for private parties and clients always ask me about serving portions. Thanks for sharing :)
      Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 at 12:22 pm
      Thanks for the vote of confidence Julie Anne!! I really appreciate that, coming from a pro like you! : )
    Monday, September 24th, 2012 at 12:34 pm
    Carrie says:
    This is a lovely & useful chart! I have one question though. How many different kinds of appetizers should one offer? We are having 50 people before a meal, so 300 pieces total, but how many appetizers would be best? I want to have a variety, because not everybody likes everything.
      Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 at 9:47 pm
      That's a good question Carrie! I googled a bit and saw the average recommendation is about 8 different appetizers for a party that size. Hope this helps!
    Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 at 2:41 pm
    Donna O'Neil says:
    This is Fantastic! I am a catering manager at a corporate account and sometimes I forget how many servings for a party or reception since I mostly do breakfast and lunch catering.
    Sunday, October 7th, 2012 at 12:16 am
    kellie says:
    completely and totally agree, everything's better in a chart. and i LOVE this one. thank you!!
    ps i found you via pinterest :)
      Monday, October 8th, 2012 at 1:33 pm
      Hooray Pinterest!! Thanks Kellie! : )
    Sunday, October 28th, 2012 at 2:32 pm
    Jamie Haddan says:
    I love this chart..Thank you. We are planning my daughters wedding and are having both pulled pork and fried chicken. I know this list for sandwiches, but with having both how much of each would you suggest for 300 people?
      Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 at 8:44 am
      Hi Jamie! Here is a different blog post that might help: http://alwaysperfectcatering.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-much-food-to-serve-at-wedding.html
    Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 at 6:26 am
    Hawaii Wedding Planner says:
    This simple and easy to follow chart will make planning any bridal shower/engagement party a breeze!! Thanks for sharing, Love it!!
    Friday, December 28th, 2012 at 2:33 am
    Lorraine says:
    Thanks for breaking it down to servings to expect per guest. I feel a little nervous when having a party or get together that I am not serving enough or that I am going overboard and buying to much and it will be wasted. So I don't enjoy myself as much as I should or could.. Thanks:)
      Tuesday, January 1st, 2013 at 6:43 pm
      You're so welcome Lorraine! I totally hear you - it's pretty nerve wracking to plan. I don't know which is worse, wasting money by buying too much, or running out from buying too little! It's hard to get it just right!
    Sunday, January 20th, 2013 at 10:13 pm
    Elaine says:
    love this!!
      Monday, January 21st, 2013 at 8:59 am
      Thanks Elaine!! : )
    Monday, January 28th, 2013 at 6:49 am
    Athina says:
    I was wondering if this was for a certain length of time? For example a 2 hour party vs a 4 hour party?
      Wednesday, January 30th, 2013 at 9:36 pm
      That's a good question, Athina! The drinks on the list are already scaled per hour, and I think that the amount of food is appropriate for a shorter or longer party. You have to figure that people are eating about a meal's worth of food at your party. The difference between 2 and 4 hours doesn't matter much because the average person won't need to eat more than one meal in 4 hours.

That said, if you happen to know your particular guest list may need more or less food, you can always adjust.

I hope this helps! : )
    Monday, February 11th, 2013 at 1:41 am
    Leonie says:
    awesome chart! its so cute and pretty! ^_^ i was stressing out about how much food/drinks i should get for my bday party coming up but you saved my day! :) one question though, my party is going to go for the whole day so how much more food/drinks should i get??? (roughly 20 teenagers/young adults if that helps) thanks! ^_^
      Monday, February 11th, 2013 at 9:46 am
      Hi Leonie! If your guests will be there over the span of two meals (like lunch and dinner) then I'd double what's shown in the chart. : )
    Thursday, February 21st, 2013 at 1:24 pm
    Annette {This Simple Mom} says:
    What if the party was an open house held during non-meal time hours? Any thoughts on that?
      Thursday, February 21st, 2013 at 7:28 pm
      Whew, that's specific!! ; ) I would think you could follow the same guidelines, maybe a little less if you expect that guests will be stopping by briefly. But if it's an open house PARTY, like "come party with us at any time between these hours," then I'd definitely just serve a regular amount of food.
    Tuesday, March 5th, 2013 at 6:31 pm
    Julie says:
    Thank you so much so helpful!!
    Tuesday, March 12th, 2013 at 11:07 am
    Chandraisgreat says:
    You have just helped me sooo much with my wedding you have no idea! thanks for the great chart!!
      Wednesday, March 13th, 2013 at 8:24 am
      That's so nice!! Thanks Chandra! : )
    Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 at 10:59 am
    Patty Virginia says:
    this is so important to have on hand when planning a gathering. Great idea! Pinned. Thanks for sharing.
      Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 at 2:34 pm
      Hi Patty! You're very welcome. Thanks for Pinning! : )
    Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 at 3:18 pm
    Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff says:
    This is truly valuable! Thank you for doing all the hard work for us ;) Saw this over on Craft Gossip.
      Thursday, June 27th, 2013 at 10:11 am
      Thank you Brenda!! Thanks for letting me know where you saw it, too - that's really good to know! : )
    Monday, July 1st, 2013 at 7:14 pm
    Samantha says:
    I love this chart so much! I use it all the time. I wanted to thank you for the great resource, and let you know I posted a link to your blog (and this chart) on my blog prettysavvyparties.wordpress.com. Thank you for sharing!!
      Tuesday, July 2nd, 2013 at 11:35 am
      Hi Samantha! I'm so glad you love it! I'm so glad to hear that's it's helping people with their parties. : )
    Wednesday, July 24th, 2013 at 10:19 am
    Michelle says:
    What a fantastic chart! I have just printed out to use for my next party as I either make too much or not enough!
      Wednesday, July 24th, 2013 at 10:52 am
      Hi Michelle! Thank you so much! I know exactly what you mean, it's so hard to predict how much food to make. I hope the chart helps! : )
    Thursday, September 19th, 2013 at 10:53 am
    Gloria says:
    Great help. I needed the information.
      Thursday, September 19th, 2013 at 11:22 am
      Hi Gloria! I'm glad this post helped you! : )
    Wednesday, September 25th, 2013 at 10:33 am
    Marquita Black says:
    What type of "signs" could be use at a party to relate the 1yo theme and also a cute note to eat only 1 piece of pizza/1 sandwich, etc.?
      Wednesday, September 25th, 2013 at 10:59 am
      Hi Marquita! You can see a bunch of signs that might work here. Any of them can be customized for a 1-year-old's party. You could use these place cards as tiny "take 1" notes. Hope that helps! : )
    Monday, November 4th, 2013 at 10:01 am
    Christine says:
    Great info thanks!
      Monday, November 4th, 2013 at 11:38 am
      You're welcome, Christine! : )
    Saturday, April 26th, 2014 at 11:02 pm
    Dawn says:
    Great chart! I want to frame it and hang it in my kitchen. Thank you!
    Wednesday, June 4th, 2014 at 11:11 pm
    Colbee says:
    I love this chart and reference it all the time! I do have one question, though. I am planning a Bridal shower between meal times, and am planning on serving snacks rather than a full meal. Would the before a meal appetizer suggestion be a good estimate of how much I would need for that time?
      Thursday, June 5th, 2014 at 9:29 am
      Hi Colbee! You might want to err on the side of caution and use the "no main course" appetizers option. Too much food is less of a problem than too little. Let me know if you have any other questions! : )
    Monday, June 9th, 2014 at 10:05 am
    Cay Moore says:
    Thanks for a lovely, informative chart!
      Tuesday, June 10th, 2014 at 11:09 am
      You're welcome, Cay! : )
    Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 at 4:36 pm
    Ingrid says:
    Awesome blog, very helpful and insightful. Thank you.
      Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 at 5:34 pm
      Hi Ingrid! That's kind of you to say. I'm glad I could help! : )
    Monday, October 27th, 2014 at 5:07 am
    maya says:
    thank you for this and helpful and lovely post!
    is this right for a kids' party too?
    I have a party for 30+ kids & been wondering about the amounts.
      Tuesday, October 28th, 2014 at 3:40 pm
      Hi Maya! You may be able to slightly reduce the recommended amounts for things like sandwiches, side dishes, etc. But I wouldn't cut back on any dessert items. Hope that helps! : )

1. have a merry weekend | a subtle revelry says:
    Friday, September 28th, 2012 at 1:02 pm
    [...] A helpful chart for party serving sizes [...]
  2. Happy Weekend! | Snippet & Ink says:
    Friday, September 28th, 2012 at 11:32 pm
    [...] sheet for how much food and drink to serve at your next [...]
  3. » Happy Weekend! May I Have The Ring says:
    Sunday, September 30th, 2012 at 7:12 am
    [...] sheet for how much food and drink to serve at your next [...]
  4. Party Menu Planning | suzannetony says:
    Monday, October 1st, 2012 at 12:16 pm
    [...] the food types at most gatherings might differ from western meal choices…but we came across this blog link that has a guide on ‘how much to serve at a party’. It is in an easy to read chart format and should be a good gauge as to how many portions to be [...]
  5. PARTY FOOD | Les chroniques de Julie says:
    Thursday, October 4th, 2012 at 3:01 pm
    [...] Je vous laisse le lien sur la page des proportions par invité: http://www.chickabug.com/blog/2012/09/how-much-food-and-drinks-to-serve-at-a-party.html [...]
  6. Head Count: Party Planning « says:
    Sunday, October 21st, 2012 at 5:59 pm
    [...] For appetizers, entrées, desserts and drinks, click here ~ ~ For the purley thirty guests at your party, click here ~ Share this:TwitterFacebookLike [...]
  7. Party Food and Drink Planning – Just In Time For The Holidays | Pin It says:
    Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012 at 10:59 am
    [...] Chickabug [...]
  8. Party serving sizes chart | Project Fairytale says:
    Thursday, November 8th, 2012 at 1:50 am
    [...] wonder how much a guest will eat when I throw a party so, when I came across this chart over at Chickabug blog I really wanted to share it with [...]
  9. Friday’s Letters « Simply Sheila says:
    Friday, November 16th, 2012 at 9:02 am
    [...] With the holiday’s coming up I thought you might like this chart to help you decide how much to serve at a party. [...]
  10. Dallas Wedding and Event Planner – Ebony Peoples Events & Design » Blog Archive » Party Planning Tip: How much should I serve? says:
    Wednesday, November 28th, 2012 at 1:58 pm
    [...] menu yet?  Do you know how much food to serve?  Take a peek at the following guide, courtesy of Chickabug, for party serving [...]
  11. BRUNCH AU JARDIN. COMBIEN DE MIGNARDISES DOIS-JE PRÉPARER ? | ♥ D'ARTICHAUT says:
    Sunday, December 2nd, 2012 at 3:42 pm
    [...] Je vous laisse le lien sur la page des répartitions des proportions par invité: http://www.chickabug.com/blog/2012/09/how-much-food-and-drinks-to-serve-at-a-party.html [...]
  12. Christmas Party Checklist (From Planning to Partying) says:
    Monday, December 17th, 2012 at 4:00 pm
    [...] be serving appetizers only? Desserts? Chickabug has a great printable to use as a guide for knowing how much food to make to serve your guests. If you’d like to try some new recipes without doing all of the food preparation yourself, [...]
  13. Reference: How Much Food To Prepare & Serve at a Party | Cafe Maurice says:
    Friday, December 21st, 2012 at 11:04 pm
    [...] chickabug.com via Jenee on [...]
  14. What Marketing Blogs Are You Reading the Day after Christmas? | Brands With Fans Blog says:
    Wednesday, December 26th, 2012 at 8:06 am
    [...] your food and beverage planning with this fun cheat sheet from ChickaBug based on the number of people [...]
  15. Five Reasons You’re Reading Marketing Blogs the Day After Christmas says:
    Saturday, January 5th, 2013 at 2:31 pm
  16. ¿Cuántos litros de mojito dices que son? « El sofá amarillo says:
    Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013 at 1:49 am
    [...] Vía Chickabug [...]
  17. How Much to Serve at a Party « Mix & Mingle says:
    Tuesday, February 26th, 2013 at 2:39 pm
    [...] food and drink to provide at a party is always tough.  I recently ran across this handy chart at Chickabug and just had to share.  Hopefully you find it as helpful as I [...]
  18. How Much to Serve at a Party | Do It And How says:
    Saturday, March 2nd, 2013 at 7:50 am
    [...] I could have referred to this chart countless times! via [...]
  19. 21 Incredibly Important Diagrams To Help You Get Through Life | Magic 106.3 FM says:
    Saturday, March 2nd, 2013 at 10:54 am
    [...] Source: chickabug.com [...]
  20. パーティー主催者必見!何をどれだけ用意する? | The Cake Magazine | クリックオンケーキのステ says:
    Saturday, March 2nd, 2013 at 10:47 pm
    [...] 参照サイト:chickabug.com [...]
  21. It's Dinner Party Time! (or, Catering for Lots of Guests) says:
    Wednesday, March 13th, 2013 at 9:33 pm
    [...] helpful infographic can aid you to figure out the rest of the party food portions, and it even has some scope for some [...]
  22. How much food to serve at a party says:
    Saturday, April 6th, 2013 at 10:16 am
    [...] {Source} [...]
  23. Sappy Sunday | So He Dumped You… Eat Some F-in Cake! says:
    Tuesday, April 16th, 2013 at 5:06 pm
    [...] So, what else could you possibly need for a day of fun-filled crying, drinking and reminiscing? Food? [...]
  24. El menú de hoy… | elmercaditohandcrafted says:
    Wednesday, April 17th, 2013 at 4:14 am
    [...] Hoy tenemos mayor libertad, podemos romper con lo establecido, lo que por costumbre se hizo regla. Y la comida es un tema importante en una celebración, ya sea que decidan por un plato tradicional o por bocadillos, es importante que sea suficiente para la gente que están esperando así como el sabor, tu banquetero debe hacer una degustación para que prueben y decidan. Pero siempre surgen dudas en cuanto a las cantidades, así que comparto con ustedes parte de esta gráfica que puede ser muy útil. Pueden ver la guía completa aquí. [...]
  25. how much food & drink to serve at a party says:
    Saturday, April 27th, 2013 at 2:09 pm
    [...] how-much-food-&-drink-to-serve-at-a-party guide on pinterest & tracked down the original creator ~ very [...]
  26. Guía culinaria para organizar una fiesta | Bake'nFelt says:
    Wednesday, May 8th, 2013 at 11:56 am
    [...] Guía de chickabug.com [...]
  27. Party Planning Tips | JOYFUL scribblings says:
    Monday, May 20th, 2013 at 3:04 am
    [...] help keep the bugs out.  If you’re like me, I never know how much food to prepare.  Click here for a great resource from Chickabug on how much food and drinks to have on hand per [...]
  28. Six Tips for a Simple and Frugal Birthday Party {Eat Well, Spend Less} - KingdomFirstMom.com says:
    Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    [...] cornbread, and of course, cake and the party was a huge hit with the guests. I love this guide on how much to serve at a party. It will definitely help you plan and hopefully keep you from having too much (or not enough!) [...]
  29. ¡¡Al rico post!! (que ya es viernes…) | the thinking blog says:
    Friday, May 24th, 2013 at 4:44 am
    [...] su blog vimos algo que nos pareció muy práctico (a ver si por fin el buen tiempo se digna a llegar para [...]
  30. Na medida certa | Nem Romeu Nem Julieta says:
    Friday, June 14th, 2013 at 11:44 am
    [...] Fonte: Chicabug [...]
  31. How Much Food? | Party Ideas And Planning | CraftGossip.com says:
    Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 at 8:04 am
    [...] Love this guide from Chickabug [...]
  32. Party Food – Serving Guide | Pretty Savvy Parties says:
    Monday, July 1st, 2013 at 6:51 pm
    [...] figuring out how much food to serve is an important tasking.  Luckily for all of us, Heather from Chickabug made this wonderful serving guide chart.  It is so colorful, and spot on with the serving [...]
  33. Entertaining: An Easy Guide to Serving Food and Drink | The NJ Wedding Planner Blog says:
    Tuesday, July 9th, 2013 at 6:59 am
    [...] Source: Chickabug [...]
  34. Links That Light Us Up — Women On Fire says:
    Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 at 2:37 pm
    […] Best Party Planner Cheat Sheet- Never worry about not having enough food at your party again. Thank you Chickabug for this party planning lifesaver! […]
  35. Hosting tip: Feeding a crowd | says:
    Friday, August 23rd, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    […] Guest Prep Chart from Chickabug […]
  36. Lattemamma » Pints, centigrades, cups and other confusing things… says:
    Friday, October 25th, 2013 at 1:20 am
    […] How much to serve at a party From Chicabug blog. […]
  37. how much to serve at a party | the party mine says:
    Friday, November 1st, 2013 at 4:17 pm
    […] via chickabug blog […]
  38. how to: dinner party. | The Glitter Life says:
    Wednesday, November 13th, 2013 at 11:00 am
    […] via chickabug blog. […]
  39. 30 Days: Open House | Birthday, Wedding, and Party Invitations and Ideas | InvitationBox.com Blog says:
    Monday, November 18th, 2013 at 2:55 pm
    […] the invitations are in the mail, we suggest referring to Chickabug’s helpful serving guide to make the rest of your Christmas party planning a cinch, not a Grinch! We […]
  40. Tips&Tricks: Entertaining - Design Crush says:
    Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 at 12:00 pm
    […] How much food and drink to serve at a party. […]
  41. interestingillustration.com How much to serve at a party | interestingillustration.com says:
    Monday, December 23rd, 2013 at 3:31 pm
    […] Source […]
  42. Last-minute Christmas guide | Travelcraft Journal says:
    Monday, December 23rd, 2013 at 11:02 pm
    […] How much food and drinks to serve at a party […]
  43. How Much Food and Drinks To Serve the Party says:
    Friday, January 24th, 2014 at 9:17 am
    […] you a visual learner?  Here is a great little chart we came across from Heather over at chickabug.com, she loves charts too!  You can even Pin it so you can refer back to it when needed.  Love that […]
  44. How Much To Serve At A Party!? - Food Porn says:
    Thursday, February 27th, 2014 at 5:34 pm
    […] is a great guide thanks to Chickabug to help you with the correct […]
  45. How To Throw a Bridal Shower on a Budget says:
    Monday, March 31st, 2014 at 3:00 am
    […] This is one of the biggest errors people make when hosting parties-buying, preparing and serving too much food! I fall into this trap all the time, as I am my Mother’s daughter, she taught me to make more “just in case”, and I have been over-catering ever since.  I found this very helpful guide online to save you from overspending-How Much Food & Drinks To Serve At A Party […]
  46. Web Gems. – says:
    Thursday, May 29th, 2014 at 11:02 am
    […] 2. Hosting a BBQ this summer?  Find out how much to serve at your party here. […]
  47. Throwing a Picture Perfect Summer Bash | Coast To Coast Central™Coast To Coast Central™ says:
    Friday, June 13th, 2014 at 9:14 am
    […] drinks or snacks I need while hosting. You are welcome for this extremely handy guide, courtesy of Chickabug,  who answers all of your how much of this and how many of these do I need for my party […]