June 13, 2012 · Posted under holidays, nautical, party food & recipes, patriotic holidays, round-ups
For the Fourth of July, everyone knows and loves the classic strawberry and blueberry flag cake, but maybe this year it’s time to try something new! Here are six beautiful (and totally doable!) recipes and decorating ideas for patriotic, red-white-and-blue cakes:
1. American flag cake via The Secret Life of a Chef’s Wife – includes a cake recipe, frosting recipe, and very detailed instructions on assembly.
2. Red, white, and blue berry trifle via Martha Stewart – a beautiful layered dessert made from ladyfingers, homemade whipped cream, and berries. Ok, so it’s not exactly a cake, but it’s in the shape of one… and it’s too gorgeous not to include here!
3. Patriotic rose cake via i am baker – this is a cake decorating and frosting tutorial, so you’d need to start with pre-made cake layers (see recipes from cakes #1, 5 or 6).
4. Firecracker bundt cake via Betty Crocker – for a quick and easy cake, this one starts with boxed cake mix. The multicolored frosting and sprinkles make this one great!
6. Independence Day cake via White Lily flour company – a from-scratch layer cake in red, white and blue layers, topped with marshmallow buttercream.