May

FREE printable summer reading game for kids

We can all agree that instilling a love of reading in kids is so important, as is keeping their minds busy over summer vacation (no “summer mush mind” allowed!). How can you get the kids to keep reading regularly while also having summer-worthy fun, though? How about this free printable “I’m A Summer Reading Star” kit! I designed it exclusively for HowDoesShe subscribers, and as the HowDoesShe gals put it, the set is cute and practical. Check it out!

Free printable summer reading kit

There’s a lot going on here, but just wait and see, it’s all fun! In the kit, you’ll find a printable banner (with a “title” piece, plus blank pieces in every color of the rainbow), a Bingo game card, coupons, and two bookmarks.

Free printable summer reading kit

First, you cut out the banner pieces and string them up where your child can see them every day. They’ll be filling in the blank pieces all summer as they read their books! Each time they finish reading a book, they earn a banner piece. You can fill in the book title at the top, and then your child can write a little summary of what the book is about in the blank area. (Wee ones can draw pictures instead.)

Free printable summer reading kit

To get started reading, kick off the Summer Reading Star game! Print the Bingo card and fill in an age-appropriate goal time at the top of the page. This is the amount of time you’ll want your child to read before they get to fill in a Bingo square. They get to read in all sorts of fun places, like under a tree, in the bathtub, or while sitting on a beach blanket. They can also fill in a square for the day of the week that they read, and for some silly things, too – like reading while wearing a hat.

Free printable summer reading kit

If your kids are really young, the goal time could be on the low end – maybe 5 to 15 minutes per reading session. If your child is a little older, or if they’re a big bookworm already, the goal could be much higher. The idea is that the whole game can be tailored to suit your child, no matter what age or reading level.

Free printable summer reading kit

So what’s in it for the kids? When your child hits a Bingo, they get a coupon. When they complete a “blackout” (filling every square), they earn the Golden Ticket. You can set up the prizes based on your own tastes. Maybe the coupon prizes are tiny, like a Tootsie Pop or a goodie from the dollar store, or maybe they’re a lot bigger. It’s totally up to you! Just make sure the Golden Ticket is the biggest incentive – something that your little one is really hoping for. After the Bingo card has been filled and the Golden Ticket has been awarded, you can print out a new card and more prize coupons, and the game can keep right on going. You can play all summer long!

Free printable summer reading kit

Shelley from HowDoesShe introduced her son, Noah, to the game, and he took to it right away! She says, “when I explained the summer reading program to him, he RAN to get his favorite hat and started reading.”

Free printable summer reading kit

Noah couldn’t wait to check off the “while wearing a hat” box on his Bingo card!

Free printable summer reading kit

And after Noah finished his book, he earned his first banner piece and went right to work drawing a summary. He’s excited to be a Summer Reading Star – and I hope your kids will be excited, too!

Free printable summer reading kit

How to download

These printables were designed by Heather from Chickabug (that’s me!) exclusively for HowDoesShe newsletter subscribers. To get the printables:

{STEP ONE} Sign up for HowDoesShe’s mailing list at www.howdoesshe.com.

{STEP TWO} Check your email for a welcome message from HowDoesShe. The email will include a password and a link. Click on the link and enter the password.

{STEP THREE} Download the printables and enjoy!

• • •

Join the Chickabug mailing list to find out about all our latest free printables!
You can also like Chickabug on Facebook to get updates : )
Free printables from Chickabug!

Comments

Friday, May 25th, 2012 at 5:34 pm
    The Partiologist says:
    What fun printables, thanks for sharing!!! :)
      Saturday, May 26th, 2012 at 10:16 am
      I'm so glad you like them! Thank you! : )
      Wednesday, May 29th, 2013 at 10:05 am
      Scentsy Gal says:
      Yes! They are perfect!! Thx!
    Friday, May 25th, 2012 at 7:50 pm
    Meterr says:
    I am a fan on facebook and a longtime blog follower, but i cant seem to figure out how to download the summer reading kit : )
      Saturday, May 26th, 2012 at 10:14 am
      Hi Meterr! Here's information on downloading: http://www.howdoesshe.com/freebies
      • 2.1.1
        Sunday, May 27th, 2012 at 6:10 pm
        KJ says:
        I would love to sign up for howdoesshe but no matter what I do the website comes up blank :( I've tried both firefox and IE. any ideas? thanks!
        • 2.1.1.1
          Sunday, May 27th, 2012 at 8:52 pm
          Hi KJ! I'll send your email address on to the gals at HowDoesShe and they'll get you on the list. Look for an email from them soon! : )
          • 2.1.1.1.1
            Monday, May 28th, 2012 at 11:31 am
            KJ says:
            thank you!!
          • 2.1.1.1.2
            Monday, May 28th, 2012 at 11:39 am
            KJ says:
            I finally got the site to open! thank you :) First thing my son asked me this morning was "mama, can I start the reading game today?"
          • Thursday, May 31st, 2012 at 11:36 am
            Success!! : ) Thanks for letting me know! That's so wonderful your son is excited about the game - I LOVE to hear that!
    Sunday, May 27th, 2012 at 5:42 pm
    Ginger says:
    I printed these up for my two grand children who love to read. They are so excited about starting their Summer Reading Club. Seems anything that ends with "club" is exciting to them. Thank you for the great printables. Ginger
      Sunday, May 27th, 2012 at 8:54 pm
      That's so wonderful, Ginger! I'm happy they're excited : )
    Monday, May 28th, 2012 at 1:12 pm
    Linda Osborne says:
    Wonderful ideas
      Thursday, May 31st, 2012 at 11:37 am
      Thanks Linda! : )
    Thursday, May 31st, 2012 at 1:04 pm
    Wendi says:
    I can't find it in the freebies section. Is it still there?

I see all of the freebies I already downloaded (THANK YOU)

first day of school signs, st. patricks, Back to School, summer fun, gift giving, christmas, birthday hat, thank you, all occasion, teacher appreciation, halloween, halloween treats

but no Reading Star! :-(
      Friday, June 1st, 2012 at 6:21 pm
      Hi Wendi! To download, you need to log into the special download area at HowDoesShe.com using the link and password they send out to members in their newsletter. If you don't have the link and password you can email the gals for help: caley@howdoesshe.com. I hope this helps! : )
    Thursday, May 31st, 2012 at 2:03 pm
    Stefanie Meers says:
    I have subscribed to your blog and followed all directions. I am trying to print out your Free "Summer Reading Kit" printable. Any suggestions. My daughter is looking forward to starting this. Thanks!
      Friday, June 1st, 2012 at 6:20 pm
      Hi Stefanie! You need to sign up for the mailing list at HowDoesShe.com. Here's information: http://www.howdoesshe.com/freebies
    Thursday, May 31st, 2012 at 4:58 pm
    laura says:
    i LOVE this. my little guy reads a TON already, but i took this idea and made a chore bingo chart to use with the coupons. the only problem. . . .it is incredibly NOT cute. (At all.) and it makes me sad to look at it, because yours is ADORABLE and mine stinks. Any chance you might want to make a blank bingo chart that I could fill in the blanks???????? :)
      Friday, June 1st, 2012 at 6:24 pm
      Thanks Laura! I'm so glad you like it! : ) I can ask HowDoesShe about making a blank version of the Bingo Chart (I designed the kit just for them, so they 'own' it). That's a good idea!
    Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 at 12:52 pm
    DeAnn Bahr says:
    Hello, I jsut found your website doing a search for free printables. I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your ideas. I put myself on your email list. I'm so looking forward to getting your emails! Thanks so much!
      Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 at 2:15 pm
      Thanks DeAnn!! Be sure to sign up for the email list at HowDoesShe.com also - the free printables that I design are split between my own blog and their blog. Between the two of us you'll have access to everything I make! : )
    Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 at 11:27 am
    Lyndsay Lucious says:
    I am SO glad I came accross this website! These ideas are just the best ever! I will be a groupie now...Xoxo A mom with 3 small children
      Monday, June 25th, 2012 at 10:26 pm
      Thanks Lyndsay!! You're so sweet, I'm so glad you found my blog! : )
    Saturday, July 7th, 2012 at 12:48 pm
    Lore says:
    I've never used scrapbook printables. How to you make sure it looks good when you print it? What kind of paper should I use? Do you advise paying a few cents to have a copy center run it on high quality paper with a color laser printer? Or do they usually turn out well with just a home ink jet? I think these are really cool but am not confident in my printer's ability to create nice looking things! Thanks for sharing!! :)
      Sunday, July 8th, 2012 at 9:49 pm
      Hi Lore! You can print on any type of paper, though I might recommend card stock. Laser printing at a copy center would be about 90 cents per sheet or so and would be a very nice quality. A decent inkjet at home would also do the trick, any new-ish model would be fine! : )
    Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 at 11:06 am
    Cmwithericka says:
    Hello, I signed up yet I am not able to get the printables. BTW I love the stuff you make and this idea is awesome. Can you please assist me. I am really excited to set this up at home.
      Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 at 6:28 pm
      Hi! I'm going to forward your email on to the team at HowDoesShe so they can get you on the list. Thanks for asking! : )
    Thursday, February 21st, 2013 at 4:38 am
    marcia says:
    can i have this
    Thursday, February 21st, 2013 at 4:53 am
    marcia says:
    please send it to:me
    Monday, February 25th, 2013 at 3:33 am
    marcia says:
    i already sign up but i still don't found the link
      Tuesday, February 26th, 2013 at 9:50 am
      Leah says:
      Hi Marcia! Check your e-mail : )
    Tuesday, February 26th, 2013 at 8:41 pm
    Sandi Doemel says:
    How come we never get free downloads after we sign up for mailings? I've wanted several, but can't get them. Thanks
      Tuesday, February 26th, 2013 at 9:42 pm
      Hi Sandi! You need to be on HowDoesShe's mailing list.

(Written above): "These free printables are for HowDoesShe newsletter subscribers. To get the printables, sign up for HowDoesShe’s mailing list at www.howdoesshe.com. After you sign up, you’ll receive an email from HowDoesShe with a link to a special downloading page."
    Thursday, February 28th, 2013 at 6:15 am
    marcia says:
    im sorry but i don't get coupons
    Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 at 10:58 pm
    Angela Banaszek says:
    I would like to sign up for the printables
      Thursday, March 7th, 2013 at 3:46 pm
      Hi Angela! You can do so at www.HowDoesShe.com. Just add your name to their mailing list by entering it on their homepage. Then you will get an email with instructions on how to download the printables.
    Tuesday, April 16th, 2013 at 8:44 am
    SocialPsychMom says:
    Adorable printables! Thanks a bunch :)
    Friday, April 26th, 2013 at 8:45 pm
    Kim Howcroft says:
    I love the summer reading kit! Just what I'm looking for!
      Friday, May 17th, 2013 at 3:47 pm
      Thanks Kim!! : )
    Friday, May 17th, 2013 at 9:58 am
    Jodi says:
    Thanks!
    Sunday, May 19th, 2013 at 4:18 pm
    Juli says:
    I love the printables! Great idea.
      Monday, May 20th, 2013 at 7:08 pm
      Yay! Thanks Juli! : )
    Monday, May 20th, 2013 at 2:42 am
    Naomi says:
    Looking forward to using this with my children
    Tuesday, May 21st, 2013 at 8:44 am
    Rachal says:
    thank you so much. such a lovely printables.
    all my student love this~!!! thank you ~!!!
      Friday, May 24th, 2013 at 8:45 am
      I'm so glad to hear that! Thank you Rachal! : )
    Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013 at 7:01 am
    Paula Lambert says:
    I can not figure out how to print free summer reading program. I am a how does she do it subscriber .
      Friday, May 24th, 2013 at 5:19 pm
      Leah says:
      Hi Paula! Check your e-mail! : )
    Monday, May 27th, 2013 at 2:00 am
    Bre says:
    What a brilliant idea for my 3 kids! I was trying to come up with a way to get them more engaged and excited about summer reading. Thank you so much--we printed out the pages and are ready to begin the reading this week!
      Thursday, May 30th, 2013 at 9:32 pm
      Thanks Bre! I hope your kiddos have fun!! : )
    Monday, May 27th, 2013 at 9:05 pm
    Wendy McComas says:
    Wow! This is great!! Thank you so much. We will definitely be using this for the summer. Last year we had money as an incentive. We figured if you were going above and beyond in your job, you would get a bonus. Why couldn't our kids? This will be something different, but LOTS of incentive! Thank you.
      Thursday, May 30th, 2013 at 9:39 pm
      Thank you Wendy! I hope this does work as an incentive. I may be an adult who loves to read for fun, but I feel like this would still motivate me to read more! ; )
    Friday, May 31st, 2013 at 6:23 pm
    Kris says:
    I already get your newsletter but still can't find the code. Would love to get these if I could.
      Saturday, June 1st, 2013 at 1:26 pm
      Hi Kris! I just emailed you. : )
    Thursday, June 6th, 2013 at 4:35 am
    Tracie says:
    I'm sorry but i am having trouble downloading the free reading printable, i have clicked on the 'Download' and gone through the 'Zip' i HAD to download but now i'm in a constant loop of this now, can you help? As i re-tired to download from the beginning again and the same thing has happened again.
    Kind regards,
    Tracie.
      Thursday, June 6th, 2013 at 12:18 pm
      Hi Tracie! I'm not sure why you would need to download a zip file, you should only be downloading a PDF. I'll email you. : )
    Thursday, June 6th, 2013 at 10:14 am
    Valerie says:
    I love this!!! Thank you for creating and offering it for free!!
      Thursday, June 6th, 2013 at 12:18 pm
      You're so welcome, Valerie! : )
    Saturday, June 8th, 2013 at 4:19 pm
    Leah Hawkins says:
    I would love to print this for my daughter!!! Thanks for sharing:)
    Wednesday, June 19th, 2013 at 3:22 pm
    Faith says:
    So do the kids win anything when they earn a banner piece? My son hate hate hates to write, so getting him to fill in the banner piece will be more of a chore. I think I may give him a coupon everytime he earns a banner piece too.
      Thursday, June 20th, 2013 at 12:47 pm
      Hi Faith!

Do whatever works best! You could give him an extra coupon for the summary or you may find another way he can summarize what he's read. If the writing aspect is a problem you might compromise by letting your son draw a picture that summarizes the story - or even act it out like a play. The goal is to make him think about what he read and share it in a fun way! : )
    Tuesday, July 2nd, 2013 at 2:31 pm
    Shanda Bean says:
    This looks really fun! I've got three kids, ages 7, 5 & 20 months,and my 7 year old LOVES to read! I can't wait to get started!
      Tuesday, July 2nd, 2013 at 3:50 pm
      Hi Shanda!

That's what I like to hear! I hope your 7 year old has a great summer of fun reading! : )
    Friday, July 19th, 2013 at 11:22 pm
    Mary Valenzuela says:
    Hi, I downloaded this set when Howdoesshe offered it as a freebie. Just wanted to let you know, it has been FANTASTIC for us this summer. Honestly, our four kids have been much more consistent with their own reading(they LOVE to have me read to them,even the 9 and 10 year- olds)without a lot of nagging from parental units. We also added a page goal with a big prize for the end of summer. In order to receive credit for their pages read, they have to use the banner piece and write a paragraph about the book. Then we have a bar graph to keep track of the pages. We give them triple credit for bible reading (since there are so many more words on page than a regular book at their ages) and so, it has increased their bible reading, too. They have to do a "report" banner piece every five chapters of scripture in order to recieve credit for the pages read. I love walking through our hallways and seeing all their banners hanging, showing their dedication. Lastly, my little (4.5) loves to be read to but she is even more insistant with the bingo board. She is really starting to pick out familiar words...loving it. Thanks for the colorful design and motivational concept!!!
      Saturday, July 20th, 2013 at 10:26 am
      Hi Mary! Thank you so much for sharing that! I'm so happy your children are excited about reading this summer. It sounds like you're doing an AMAZING job of encouraging them - that bar graph sounds like a great idea! : )
    Friday, September 6th, 2013 at 8:12 pm
    Beverly says:
    I've been using this with my kids all summer. They are so motivated! Mt Daughter has completed 2 golden tickets and wants to continue into the school year. Thank you for creating and sharing this incentive game!
      Monday, September 9th, 2013 at 10:45 am
      That's great Beverly! I'm thrilled your daughter is more interested in reading. You must have done a great job encouraging her! : )
    Sunday, January 12th, 2014 at 3:47 pm
    sarah says:
    As a teacher I think this is the best thing I have ever seen! I wish every parent saw the importance of reading everyday AND interacting with their kids' reading.
    Thinking I can use this with my summer school kids...
      Monday, January 13th, 2014 at 12:13 pm
      Thank you, Sarah! That's such a sweet thing to say and it really means a lot coming from a teacher! : )
    Friday, June 13th, 2014 at 7:34 am

Friday, May 24th, 2013 at 1:31 pm
  10. Friday Freebie Round-up for 5/24/13 says:
    Friday, May 24th, 2013 at 1:45 pm
  11. Top 20 Freebies This Week (5/24/13) | Chaos Is Bliss says:
    Friday, May 24th, 2013 at 4:27 pm
    [...] Summer Reading Game Printables [...]
  12. 5/24- It's Friday & It's Free! Round Of Free Printable, Samples, Recipes & More! - A Mitten Full of Savings says:
    Friday, May 24th, 2013 at 5:24 pm
  13. FREE Summer Reading Game for Kids Printable | Free Homeschool Deals © says:
    Monday, May 27th, 2013 at 12:05 am
    [...] over to Chickabug to learn how you can download this free summer reading game printable for kids.  This looks like so much [...]
  14. Happy Freebie Friday!! says:
    Friday, May 31st, 2013 at 7:37 am
  15. Freebie Friday May 31 - Save More Spend Less with Heidi says:
    Sunday, June 2nd, 2013 at 8:59 am
  16. – Summer Reading Program! says:
    Monday, June 3rd, 2013 at 10:11 pm
    [...] reading program that we are doing here! I was inspired by seeing the ADROABLE printables from How Does She! This whole set was free for their subscribers. It is just too cute! What we have is a banner with [...]
  17. Summer 2014 Reading Challenge | beckorandom says:
    Tuesday, April 15th, 2014 at 6:45 pm
    […] Print out this fun kit - the Summer Reading Star game! It includes a Bingo card where you can fill in an age-appropriate goal time at the top of the […]
  18. Summer Reading Printables | Academic Advancement says:
    Thursday, June 26th, 2014 at 3:43 pm
    […] to do all we can to encourage daily reading over the summer. We found this great free printable from HowDoesShe.Com that makes summer reading FUN! Go check it out […]