Apr

FREE! Printable tree planting kit for kids

To celebrate Earth Day, here’s a fun free printable that will get your kids even more excited to plant a tree!

Free printable tree planting kit for kids - great for Earth Day!

Planting a tree is already such a fun project for children, and now you can take it a step further and turn it into a little party! This kit was inspired by Andrea Koehle Jones of Love Trees, an educational tree planting program for children. Andrea had the idea for a tree tag to hang on the branch of a newly planted tree, and she also envisioned a certificate of “tree ownership.” Using her ideas (and adding a few printable circles of course!), I designed the kit to have bright colors and sweet, kid-friendly sayings appropriate for a post-tree planting celebration.

To help show off the free printables, my friend Shelley of HowDoesShe had her adorable son Noah and his pal Brooks pitch in and plant trees of their own. They were plenty excited to get to play in the dirt for a good cause! ; )

Free printable tree planting kit for kids - great for Earth Day!

First you dig…

Free printable tree planting kit for kids - great for Earth Day!

…and then you carefully pat pat pat the tree into place. (It’s good for an adult to supervise, of course – planting a tree properly is important to ensure that it thrives. The tree planting kit includes detailed instructions for planting a tree that were written by Andrea of Love Trees.)

Free printable tree planting kit for kids - great for Earth Day!

Write the date and your child’s name on the tree tag, and have him hang it on his brand new tree.

Free printable tree planting kit for kids - great for Earth Day!

Noah was proud to sign his own name on his tag!

Free printable tree planting kit for kids - great for Earth Day!

To make it official, I’ve included a Tree Caretaker certificate where you can record the date and place where your child planted their tree. It says, “I pledge to take good care of my tree by helping to water it and by watching it grow. My tree is one of a kind, just like me!

Free printable tree planting kit for kids - great for Earth Day!

A few printable circles can be used to make little badges of honor, or even cupcake toppers! (Planting a tree might work up an appetite!) : )

Free printable tree planting kit for kids - great for Earth Day!

Since the certificate is meant to be saved, it would be fun for your child to record their tree’s height on the back and then measure it every few months to see how much it’s grown.

Free printable tree planting kit for kids - great for Earth Day!

I hope you love the idea of this project as much as I do! Please download the Tree Planting Kit here, and enjoy!! Happy Earth Day!

“Planting a tree any time, no matter how many you plant,
is something to celebrate and remember always.”
–Andrea Koehle Jones, Executive Director, Love Trees

I’m so grateful to Shelley of HowDoesShe for her generosity in taking these pictures for me, and to Andrea of Love Trees for inspiring this kit. Thank you, thank you!

• • •
Join our mailing list to find out about all the latest free printables!
You can also like Chickabug on Facebook to get updates : )

Free printables from Chickabug!

Newer Post
Polka dot rainbow cake

Comments

Thursday, April 19th, 2012 at 1:47 pm
    Windy City Novelties says:
    This is such a great way to get kids interested in the environment!
    Thursday, April 19th, 2012 at 1:54 pm
    Kathy says:
    Thank you sooooo much for all of your hard work in creating these printables and then making the free too! You are a real blessing, especially to a busy home schooling mum like myself. You are fantastic:-)
      Friday, April 20th, 2012 at 9:24 am
      I'm blushing!! Seriously! Thank you, Kathy - you're so kind!
    Thursday, April 19th, 2012 at 7:43 pm
    Michelle says:
    Seriously this is fabulous. I love it!
      Friday, April 20th, 2012 at 9:21 am
      Thank you so much, Michelle! : )
    Thursday, April 19th, 2012 at 11:11 pm
    Leslie says:
    What a cute kit! I should share this with my daughter's school!
      Friday, April 20th, 2012 at 9:20 am
      I'd love that Leslie!! The more the better! : )
    Thursday, April 19th, 2012 at 11:48 pm
    Andrea says:
    Just printed the tree planting kit - can't wait to get outside and plant trees with the kids. Thank you so much - such a beautiful design. Keep-up the great work! : )
    Friday, April 20th, 2012 at 12:32 pm
    Victoria says:
    I love this!! And my kids would love the little badges. I shared this on my blog here: http://www.vixenmade.com/2012/04/free-printable-friday-earth-day.html
      Friday, April 20th, 2012 at 2:01 pm
      Thank you so much Victoria! I really appreciate that you blogged about these! : )
    Friday, April 20th, 2012 at 6:48 pm
    Kari - the Sweetest Memory says:
    That is the sweetest thing ever! The kids look so proud and a great lesson!
    Sunday, April 22nd, 2012 at 6:41 pm
    Kari - the Sweetest Memory says:
    I just love these! I love what a sense of pride kids would have doing this, and it is a great example to teach them! I am sharing on my blog.

Thank you for sharing!
      Sunday, April 22nd, 2012 at 7:15 pm
      Thank you so much Kari!! : )
    Sunday, April 22nd, 2012 at 10:14 pm
    libbywilko says:
    Thanks for such a cute set of "green" printables ! Love the idea.
    Friday, September 7th, 2012 at 1:11 pm
    lemondedis says:
    une jolie idée... et une sensibilisation à l'écologie qui touchera sans nul doute les enfants... merci pour le partage
    Wednesday, February 13th, 2013 at 11:18 pm
    Samantha says:
    I really like this idea. I tried to plant an apple tree when I was a kid & I never saw a bit of a sprout from it. Really could have used this kit back then!
      Thursday, February 14th, 2013 at 8:36 pm
      That's so sweet! Although maybe the type of apple just wasn't suited to your climate? Hmmm. I know I tried to plant peach pits when I was little and never got anything from them! Although I also tried to hatch a chick from a store-bought egg (which are all non-fertilized, obviously)... I definitely didn't know what I was doing. ; )

1. Earth Day! Plant a Tree Printables! | How Does She... says:
    Saturday, April 21st, 2012 at 12:44 am
    [...] make you want to go plant a tree, I don’t know what will. In honor of Earth Day, chickabug has created the most adorable FREE “Plant a Tree” printable [...]
  2. 26 Earth Day Crafts, Art, and Free Printables for Kids | My Little Birds Love Reading says:
    Wednesday, March 20th, 2013 at 9:12 pm
    [...]  Tree Planting Kit for Kids ~ Inspire your children to plant a tree in honor of Earth Day with this free printable [...]
  3. Behind The Scenes: April and May 2013 - Enchanted Homeschooling Mom says:
    Saturday, March 23rd, 2013 at 1:56 pm
    [...] April  Daily Writing Prompts (for our daughter) May Daily Writing Prompts (for our daughter) Tree Planting Kit Earth Day Sight Word Game Going Green Earth Day Unit Earth Day cupcakes Edible Earth Rounds [...]
  4. Free Printables from Love Trees - LoveTrees says:
    Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 at 2:01 pm
    […] Tree Planting Kit for Kids designed by Heather at […]
  5. Free printable Earth Day bucket list | Chickabug says:
    Thursday, April 17th, 2014 at 11:55 am
    […] And for another fun Earth Day activity, check out my free printable tree planting kit! […]
  6. Earth Day Activities for Kids says: