Spring is {thisclose} to being here, and that means that summer party planning is already underway! If an Under the Sea theme party on your list, here’s a great little party favor and craft idea that you’ll love. It’s courtesy of Delia of Delia Creates, who recently threw an Under the Sea party for her son, Owen. At the party, Owen and his guests made…

…snow globe aquariums! How fun are these! And pretty darn thrifty, too – the jars are empty baby food jars, and the sea animals and glitter inside the jars came from the Dollar Tree.

Delia chose baby food jars because they’re a good size to use with the miniature-sized sea creatures. She emptied the jars out, then saved the baby food to use in her recipes (she says, “the bananas are a great addition to pancake batter. Squash, carrots and sweet potatoes are a great way to add more veggies to a plain spaghetti sauce”). But, of course, if you have a baby at home – score! I’m sure you have lots of jars on-hand already!

Here’s what you do for the pre-party prep:

Empty out the jars, then paint the lids silver (or another color of your choice) using acrylic paint.

Then, mix up some blue water. Delia says, “to get a light enough blue you need like 2 drops per 1 quart. I think I diluted it even more after that even. If you add the food coloring straight to the jar, the water will be too dark.”

At the party, making the snow globes is easy! Have each child choose a sea creature they like. Then put their choice of critter into a jar along with some glitter and a little glycerin. Add the blue-tinted water, filling to the top. After the jars are full, hot glue the lids on.

If you end up with a tight seal on the lid, you’ll be able to display the snow globe with the base down. As Delia says, “some lids took better than others. Owen’s is fine but Reid’s is leaking so we keep it upright.” But really, I think these would be super-cute either way!

Be sure to check out the rest of Owen’s adorable Under the Sea party here – there’s lots more to see!

Tutorial and photos are re-posted with permission from Delia Creates. Thanks Delia!

Chickabug Under the Sea theme paper and printables

Shop for personalized Under the Sea theme party paper goods and printables here.
Or, check out more Under the Sea theme party ideas on Pinterest or here on my blog!

OLDER POST
NEWER POST

Comments

Saturday, March 17th, 2012 at 4:32 am
    louise says:
    Adorable! The party looks great too. I love the seaweed detail!
    Monday, March 18th, 2013 at 4:26 pm
    Chanda White says:
    I am planning our church's one week summer camp, which will have a different movie and bible verse each day. These snow globes will be a great activity before playing the Little Mermaid movie! Great idea and great low cost for a small church ministry.
      Friday, March 22nd, 2013 at 9:27 pm
      I'm so glad you like the idea! : ) Thanks Chanda!
    Friday, June 28th, 2013 at 9:49 pm
    Sue says:
    Love the green streamer idea for the seaweed going up the wall. We will be using that idea and adding fish and other sea creatures. Thank you!
      Saturday, June 29th, 2013 at 2:28 pm
      Hi Sue!

I'm glad you like them. I think fish and other sea creatures would be a great addition. The seaweed should make a great backdrop! I'd love to see photos when you're done! : )
    Sunday, July 14th, 2013 at 7:58 pm
    Ashley says:
    Hello! I'm hosting an "Under the Sea" themed party for my daughters 1st birthday in two weeks. I love this idea and I already have all of the baby jars prepped, but I have not been able to find small sea creatures anywhere that are a reasonable price. They didn't have them at my local Dollar Tree. Has anyone found them elsewhere?
      Monday, July 15th, 2013 at 10:44 am
      Hi Ashley! I'm not sure where Delia got her mini sea creatures but I found some that look like they will work on Amazon. : )
    Monday, January 18th, 2016 at 1:06 pm
    Rachel Martin says:
    I love this idea! So cute! How much Glycerin do you add to each jar before you add the water?
      Monday, January 18th, 2016 at 3:12 pm
      Hi Rachel! Sorry, I'm not sure exactly how much to use - Delia just said "it doesn’t take much."