Mar

How to make a sock monkey rag wreath

Did you spot this fabulous shaggy rag wreath in Jameson’s sock monkey party feature? It certainly caught my eye since I love a good wreath, especially one that’s made to match a party theme! This sock monkey wreath captured all of the colors from Jameson’s party, with gray, cream, brown, red and white polka dot fabric. There’s even some sock monkey fabric in there, too. Crafty mama Jennifer made the wreath herself, and she’s sharing her tutorial with us today. It’s the best sort of DIY project – quick, easy, and inexpensive!

How to make a sock monkey rag wreath

Materials needed: An 18″ straw wreath, about 5 types of fabric (1-1/4 yards total), a box of greening pins, a short length of ribbon, and scissors. (Optional decoration: a pennant banner triangle.)

Start with an 18″ straw wreath, and leave the plastic on so it doesn’t shed. Buy a variety of fabrics (Jennifer bought 5 fabrics from Hobby Lobby – 1/4 yard each). Choose fabrics that are not dull on one side.

Cut the fabric into approximately 1.5″ wide by 10″ long strips.

Stick a greening pin into the wreath and tie the fabric strips onto the pin. (Jennifer tied 5 strips onto each pin – one strip of each pattern of fabric.)

After the fabric strips are tied on, push the pin into the wreath as far as it will go. Repeat all the way around the wreath until it’s nice and full.

How to make a sock monkey rag wreath

Ta-da! In about 2 hours, your wreath will be ready to hang. Add a loop of ribbon to the back of the wreath (using another greening pin) to create a hanging loop. For the finishing touch, you can also add a printable pennant banner triangle to the center of the wreath.

Thank you so much to Jennifer for sharing her tutorial! Check out Jennifer’s blog at The Laws of My Life, and the rest of Jameson’s fabulous party here!

Sock Monkey theme party paper goods & printables from Chickabug

Shop for personalized Sock Monkey theme party paper goods and printables here.
Or, check out more Sock Monkey theme party ideas on Pinterest or here on my blog!

Comments

Wednesday, March 7th, 2012 at 1:16 pm
    Leigh Ann says:
    That would be cute for a baby boy's room!
    Wednesday, March 7th, 2012 at 4:13 pm
    Jennifer says:
    Thanks for sharing Heather!!! What fun!!
    This wreath really was so easy to make and only about $15! I can't wait to change out the fabrics for my Easter Party!!
      Thursday, March 8th, 2012 at 5:00 pm
      Thank YOU, Jennifer!! You did a beautiful job with the tutorial and I'm so happy to be able to feature it! : )
    Wednesday, March 7th, 2012 at 6:48 pm
    Sharleen Callanan says:
    Super cute thanks for sharing!
    Wednesday, March 7th, 2012 at 7:37 pm
    Suzi says:
    30 years ago we would make these wreaths in several sizes using Christmas colors. They would be used as wreaths of course and the smaller ones would surround pillar candles around the bottoms and the really big ones would have the punch bowl sitting in the middle! We didn't use the pins, we cut small squares with pinking shears and placed a screwdriver into the center of the square and just poked them into the straw. The stubborn ones would get a drop of glue to keep them in. I used mine year after year until so shabby as to no longer be chic! Thanks for the memory.
      Thursday, March 8th, 2012 at 5:03 pm
      That's so interesting Suzi! And a great idea to use wreaths to surround candles and a punchbowl! That reminds me of how my grandmother always put little greenery rings around the base of her pillar candles for holidays - I was so fascinated by the "tiny wreaths" as a kid. They were just the right size for a dollhouse! : )
    Thursday, March 8th, 2012 at 9:07 am
    kellie says:
    AWESOME JOB! I love it and thanks for the great tutorial :)
    Wednesday, March 14th, 2012 at 9:40 pm
    Becky says:
    I think this is great and could be expanded to things like John Deere, Harley Davidson, sports, just about anything prints!
    Saturday, March 24th, 2012 at 2:43 am
    Elizabeth says:
    Hello,
    I really want to make this but should I have 1-1/4 yards of each different fabric or should I have that much of all the fabric put together?
      Saturday, March 24th, 2012 at 2:00 pm
      Hi Elizabeth! You need 1-1/4 yards total (all of the fabrics put together).
    Thursday, July 26th, 2012 at 7:35 pm
    Rosemary says:
    My mom got a wreath like the "screwdriver" made one years ago. I always wanted to know how to make it. Now I know,... thanks!!!
      Monday, July 30th, 2012 at 9:14 pm
      You're so welcome Rosemary! Thanks for reading my blog! : )
    Saturday, April 27th, 2013 at 7:10 pm
    Melanie says:
    Hi, I love it. How do you keep the fabric from freying?
      Sunday, April 28th, 2013 at 1:23 pm
      You don't try to stop the fraying - it just adds charm. : )
    Saturday, June 22nd, 2013 at 4:04 pm
    Kelley Hamby says:
    Love this idea. Going to make one for my son's hospital door. Approximately how many yards of fabric was used?
      Saturday, June 22nd, 2013 at 4:07 pm
      Kelley Hamby says:
      Nevermind...just found my answer. :)
      • 10.1.1
        Sunday, June 23rd, 2013 at 11:31 am
        Hi Kelley! I hope your wreath turns out great! : )
    Friday, February 7th, 2014 at 2:16 pm
    Brooke says:
    Thank you so much for posting this! Just curious, what is the point in the greening pins?
      Monday, February 10th, 2014 at 1:08 pm
      Hi Brooke! The greening pins are what the felt pieces are attached to. Hope that helps! : )
    Saturday, February 8th, 2014 at 7:18 pm
    Cierra says:
    I love this wreath!!! I am making one just like this for my son's 2nd birthday. The only thing I am changing is the colors of fabric. I bought the 18" wreath and the same amount of fabric as you posted. Yet, I still have a long way to go. I am nowhere near complete yet! I wonder why I need so much more? Ideas?
      Monday, February 10th, 2014 at 1:02 pm
      Hi Cierra! First, I'm so glad you like this wreath. I bet it will be a real hit at the party. I'm not sure why it's taking more fabric. If you have more questions you should checkout Jennifer's blog. She made this wreath and the tutorial. I reposted it with her permission. : )

1. Sock monkey party: Jameson is 1! | Chickabug says:
    Wednesday, January 30th, 2013 at 2:21 pm
    [...] rag wreath is homemade, and the triangle inside is one of the pieces from Jameson’s printable [...]
  2. Rainbow "Hoppy Easter" party | Chickabug says: