Oct

How to make a stick hobby horse

One of my fabulous customers, Brenda, created the most wonderful stick hobby horses for her son’s country-western party! They’re made from red heeled socks, the same socks used for sock monkeys – that’s why they might look a little familiar to you sock monkey fans. : ) After whipping up a batch of 28 sock horses, Brenda wrote a tutorial that’s so easy to follow, I’m turning over the reins to her today (heehee). Here’s how to make the hobby horses, in Brenda’s own words!

I wanted to do something special, and memorable, for my son Stavros and his party guests for his upcoming birthday party; so I decided to make a stick pony for each of the kids! In all, I made 28 horses! Each horse took me about 45 minutes to complete. It was really a fun and simple project, so I decided to make a tutorial. Your little one is sure to love this handmade, old-school toy!

Items you will need:

Poly-Fil
Felt
Scissors
Brown and/or Cream Yarn
Red Heel Sock (The best price I could find for the socks was at The Sock Company. I purchased size medium. Size large is more typical, but I think they looked good in medium – not ‘floppy’ at the neck.)
1″ Wood Dowel
Glue Gun
Knitting Needle

Step 1: Fill the sock with poly-fil. Use ample poly-fil to ensure the “head” will not be floppy. Tie yarn or a rubber band around the opening of the sock to make sure the poly-fil remains in place while you’re working.

Step 2: Sew a “mouth” along the toe-seam of the sock using a piece of yarn. (Make a knot on one side of the “muzzle,” pull the yarn snugly across the front, and then make a knot on the other side to complete the mouth.) Above the mouth, make small knots of yarn for a “nose.” This step can be left out, but I think the horse looks quite friendly with his big smile!

Step 3: Use your glue gun to apply two small, round eyes made of felt. (I used felt, but buttons or “animal eyes” found at the craft store would probably be even cuter!)

Note: Remember that buttons aren’t safe on toys for very young children, so be careful if you use them.

Step 4: Pull your yarn through the sock with your needle and tie a knot in the middle to make the mane–this yields two strands of “hair”. I pre-cut about 40 pieces of yarn, each about 8 inches long, for this step. I started at the edge of the heel and continued about half way down the “neck”… This is the longest, most tedious step.

Step 5: Cut “ears” from your felt at your desired shape and size. Pinch the ear and glue one ear on each side of the heel – just behind where you started the mane.

Step 6: Insert your dowel into the sock, as far as possible. (It may be necessary to rearrange some of the poly-fil after doing this.) Fold back the sock at the opening and apply glue around the stick. Press the sock to the glue to secure the head. For an added detail, tie some yarn around the stick, where you added the glue.

Step 7: Use a long piece of yarn to make a bridle. I wrapped the yarn between the nose and eyes then tied a knot under the “chin.” To secure the bridle to the horse, I applied a small dot of glue where I made the knot.

That’s it! So simple, even I could do it! I hope the kids at Stavros’ party are as excited about receiving their stick ponies as I was about making them!

Thank you so much for sharing, Brenda! Fabulous job!!

See the rest of Stavros’ Country-Western party here!

Country-Western theme paper goods and printables from Chickabug

Shop for personalized Country-Western Theme party paper goods and printables here.
Or, check out more Country-Western Theme party ideas on Pinterest or here on my blog!

Comments

Friday, October 7th, 2011 at 2:02 am
    Leslie says:
    So incredibly adorable!  Thanks for sharing!
    Monday, January 2nd, 2012 at 12:07 pm
    TEAM CRAFTWELL says:
    This is adorable! and we love anything that has a glue gun!

Team Craftwel
    Monday, January 2nd, 2012 at 6:25 pm
    erin says:
    So cute! Where did you find those socks? I'd love to make these for my kids!
      Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 at 9:04 am
      Hi Erin! Brenda says, "The best price I could find for the socks was at
      http://www.sockcompany.com/or.html. Just so you know, I purchased size: medium. Size large is more typical, but I think they looked good in medium - not 'floppy' at the neck."

I hope this helps! : )
      • 3.1.1
        Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 at 9:06 am
        PS. I updated the post to include this info - thanks for asking!
    Sunday, April 8th, 2012 at 12:51 am
    Tanisha says:
    I am making these for my daughters first birthday. Can you be more specific about how to sew on the mouth and nose? Thanks!
      Sunday, April 8th, 2012 at 9:30 am
      Brenda says she used a knitting needle, looped the yarn, then tied a simple knot. To make the nostrils you just make a knot, and to make the mouth you make one knot, pull the yarn over to the other side, and secure the other side of the mouth with another knot. I hope this helps! : )
    Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 at 9:27 pm
    lynn says:
    I think this is adorable, I am making a diaper cake and wanted a small stick horse for the center. This idea is simple and I can't wait to create my own, for my new great nephews diaper cake(for his baby shower). This will be great to use !!!!! Thank you for sharing!
      Thursday, November 1st, 2012 at 12:50 pm
      I bet that will be so cute Lynn! : )
    Tuesday, December 18th, 2012 at 11:34 am
    Suzanne says:
    How long of a dowel do I need. These are sooooo cute. Thank you.
      Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 at 10:27 am
      Hi Suzanne! Brenda says, "I used a standard, broom-length dowel. I think shorter might be good for toddler-aged kids, I just like the look of the long dowel on the finished product." I hope this helps! : )
      • 6.1.1
        Thursday, December 20th, 2012 at 10:44 pm
        Suzanne says:
        Thanks Heather. Also, I found that at the website for socks you had listed, they have a bag of "seconds" for $14.99. I ordered this and though some needed fixing, was able to find five or six perfectly good socks in there. The rest might be good for a sock monkey. Still a good savings.
        • 6.1.1.1
          Saturday, December 22nd, 2012 at 8:45 am
          That's good to know! Thank you! : )
    Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 at 8:21 am
    Cathy Weber says:
    This is great!?, thank you so much for sharing this. I think I will make a couple for future gret grand kids
    Tuesday, February 19th, 2013 at 11:27 am
    Courtney says:
    I found this site thru Pinterest and made these stick horses for my son's 2nd birthday party. The instructions are very clear and I appreciated the link to find the red heel socks at a good price. Best of all, the horses were a huge hit! Super cute and pretty easy without looking it. Thanks so much for sharing this. :)
      Tuesday, February 19th, 2013 at 11:35 am
      Thank you Courtney!! I really appreciate that! I'll pass your kind words on to my customer who created the tutorial : )
    Thursday, March 7th, 2013 at 5:23 pm
    Eliziane says:
    Thank you so much for sharing this amazing idea!
    I'm glad for people like you, so kind and generous, who share knowledge!
      Saturday, March 9th, 2013 at 2:38 pm
      That is so sweet of you to say, Eliziane! Thank you! : )
    Monday, April 15th, 2013 at 8:14 pm
    Silvia says:
    Love these western ideas.
    Tuesday, April 16th, 2013 at 9:36 pm
    Amy Webb says:
    AWESOME craft idea, and very easy for those of us who do not sew! I was able to make this in about 1 hr for my daughter's Kindergarten Derby Day tomorrow! Thanks for sharing! I also posted in Pinterest, and Facebook....can I give your website a thumbs up by tagging it on both of my posts?
      Wednesday, April 17th, 2013 at 3:58 pm
      That's so nice of you to ask, thanks Amy!! Please feel free to tag away! I'm so glad the tutorial worked as promised! ; )
    Thursday, April 18th, 2013 at 8:00 am
    Liana says:
    Hi! I want to make these for my son's second birthday which is cowboy themed. What was the total price of making one of these? I'm tempted to just buy them from the store (I have two little ones under two now) and I think it would be easier but I like that this is handmade and if it's a reasonable price to make I would like to do this.
      Thursday, May 2nd, 2013 at 8:39 am
      Hi Liana! I'm honestly not sure - I haven't priced out the project, myself. With all the coupons and sales at all the craft stores it really depends on how savvy a shopper you are I guess! ; )
    Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013 at 11:40 pm
    Shannon says:
    Thanks so much for the great tutorial. I made 4 of these for my daughter's birthday party. They will be a surprise, but I'm dying to show them to someone because they came out SO cute!! My son (2) accidentally saw one in the works and went bonkers over it...he couldn't stop giving it hugs and kisses and wanted to talk to it and ride it so bad!
      Friday, May 24th, 2013 at 8:24 am
      Aw! That is just so sweet!! : )
    Tuesday, November 26th, 2013 at 7:53 am
    roberta says:
    bellissimo, complimenti avevo già in mente di farlo a natale x mia figlia ed una sua amica appassionate di cavalli, ho tutto il necessario non resta altro che andare a farlo grazie per le spiegazioni dettagliate
      Tuesday, November 26th, 2013 at 10:37 am
      Ciao Roberta! Sono così felice che vi piaccia! :)
    Friday, January 24th, 2014 at 6:18 pm
    Kim A says:
    What is the name of the font you are using for the heading of this tutorial? I love it!
      Friday, January 24th, 2014 at 6:52 pm
      Hi Kim! It's called Giddyup. : )
    Friday, February 14th, 2014 at 6:41 am
    maria foglia says:
    I Love this, so simple yest so effective. x
      Friday, February 14th, 2014 at 10:52 am
      Hi Maria! It's one of my all-time favorite DIY projects. I'm glad you like it, too! : )

1. Pretend Party Post: Pony Party! says:
    Saturday, November 19th, 2011 at 1:51 am
    [...] Favors or Cake Toppers from The Party Hub.  Picket Fence Cupcake Wrappers from Fancy Flours .  Stick Hobby Horse Tutorial by Chicka Bug. Horseshoe Cupcake Toppers & Lucky Vanilla Cupcakes by Sprinkle [...]
  2. 365/96. ötlet – Zokni falovacska | homeLOVE says:
    Monday, January 2nd, 2012 at 3:58 pm
    [...] az orr és a szem között, majd a másik oldalon a nyaka alatt kösd át.Az ötletért köszönet: chickabug Az elkövetkező egy évben, azaz 365 napban, minden egyes napon, egy újabb “csináld [...]
  3. Country-western cowgirl party: Emma is 3! | Chickabug says:
    Monday, September 10th, 2012 at 2:48 pm
    [...] that’s a party favor. (I’m impressed!) Sara says, “My mom made the ponies from a tutorial on Chickabug. Aren’t they cute??! I found a great deal on those socks so we made them all different [...]
  4. Pinterest Picks | Dollar Store Mom Frugal Fun – Crafts for Kids says:
    Saturday, September 29th, 2012 at 2:01 pm
    [...] Make an old school style hobby horse! via Chickabug [...]
  5. Hobby Horses « Another Day – Another Mom says:
    Saturday, December 8th, 2012 at 5:30 pm
    [...] left over yarn, stuffing, black buttons for eyes. There are lots of instructions on the Internet: here is a cute one made with a sock, this is a super cute fabric one… The google results are full of tutorials, of [...]
  6. HYP, HYP, SENIOR! | Wild & Woolly says:
    Monday, January 14th, 2013 at 2:55 pm
    [...] du selv vil give dig i kast med at lave en kæphest, er der en god guide til at lave en her og [...]
  7. Tipful Tuesday: DIY Party Favors « Sarabeth Events says:
    Tuesday, March 12th, 2013 at 3:14 pm
    [...] dowel Glue gun Kneading needle This memorable party favor can be made around $5-$8 each. Go to http://www.chickabug.com/blog/2011/10/how-to-make-a-stick-hobby-horse.html for step by step instructions. Or, as mentioned above, send each kiddo home with something to [...]
  8. Tipful Tuesday: DIY Party Favors says:
    Thursday, April 18th, 2013 at 11:38 pm
  9. How to make a chalkboard artist's canvas | Chickabug says:
    Monday, August 12th, 2013 at 10:40 am
    […] Brenda. Brenda is kind of a genius when it comes to her DIY party favors (she previously made stick hobby horses that everyone really loved), and this year she’s throwing an art theme party with rainbow […]
  10. What's new in the shop | Chickabug says:
    Monday, August 26th, 2013 at 7:29 pm
    […] One of the tutorials on my blog – how to make a stick hobby horse – got pulled by Babble as “20 Awesome DIYs to Do Now for the Holidays.” Super big […]
  11. 12 Handmade Horsey GIFT IDEAS | Eco_Equine says:
    Tuesday, December 3rd, 2013 at 10:01 pm
    […] 9.  Or you can Do-It-Yourself using old socks.  http://www.chickabug.com/blog/2011/10/how-to-make-a-stick-hobby-horse.html […]
  12. Christmas and New Year activities. Part 3. | says:
    Tuesday, December 24th, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    […] Но еще я засматриваюсь вот на такую красоту, нашлось бы время — a stick horse: […]