Country-western, farm, and Toy Story parties are super popular right now – but what to do to entertain all those little cowboys and cowgirls? ; ) Here are some of my favorite games and ideas:
1. Make your own stick horse – Create heads out of butcher paper, add yarn for a mane, and stuff the heads with filler. Hot-glue in a dowel rod and tie a rope on for reins. Give kids a variety of eyes and mouths to add to their horses, along with markers, glitter, etc. Idea from a country-western party on my own blog. (Yay!)
2. There’s a snake in my boot! – Have children drop small plastic snakes into a cowboy boot one by one. For very small children (or to make it into a “toss” game), you can use a bucket for a boot and a larger plush snake. Image from Flickr.
3. Rope ‘em lasso game – Make rope circle “lassos” and toss them onto a wooden horse. Another way to make lassos is to wrap hula hoops with rope (but keep in mind a hula hoop may be too heavy for the smallest children). Idea via Let’s Explore.
4. Beanbag horseshoes – For kid-friendly horseshoes, make the horseshoes using felt, with rice for filler. Create a base out of painted plywood and a dowel. Idea via Let’s Explore.
5. Western play town – Paint extra-large cardboard boxes to create a play village. This one even has a swinging door and cut-out jail bars! Idea via Design Dazzle.