Country Western party: Max is 1!

I have to tell you, it’s the biggest thrill to have a professional photographer inquire about one of my themes – especially a photographer as talented as Adrian Hindes of Canyon Photography. When she asked about teaming up to work on a country-western party for her son, Max, I couldn’t say “sign me up, pardner” fast enough! It was SO much fun to put the theme together with her, and to hear about how she made Max’s first birthday party so special. Read on, cowgirls… : )

To create rustic signs on the cheap, Adrian took inexpensive balsa wood planks, stained them with wood stain, and added text with a white paint pen. For a finishing touch, she hot glued rope trim around the edges.

The backdrop behind Max’s printable banner is actually brown craft paper from the dollar store, with wood stain that was “ragged” on to create a leathery look.

The cowboy hats used throughout the party are from Oriental Trading. The printable cupcake wrappers and toppers are from Chickabug.

Farm hands were treated to yummy finger foods, including “haystacks” (recipe here) and “honey wheat ropes” (actually pretzels), plus lemonade and a flavor-your-own milk bar. Each dish was labeled with a printable buffet card.

“Chicken feed” is the cutest thing! It’s actually a granola mix with peanut M&M’s added.

In addition to being a fabulous photographer, Adrian also makes a heck of a cake! She made Max’s large cake as well as all of the cupcakes.

Adrian made this adorable wreath, too! She says, “it’s a straw wreath form (I left the plastic on) and I ripped 1-2″ sections of red bandanna fabric. I double-knotted the strips around the wreath, then tied on the red ‘M’ for Max with rope. Easy peasy!”

Hoedown corncakes and “well water” are a must after a long day on the farm. : )

To make this adorable farm bowling game, Adrian used clip art from Scrappin Doodles. She printed the clip art onto card stock, laminated each character, then attached them to liter-sized soda bottles that were each filled about one-third full of sand.

These stick horses are so creative and so sweet! Adrian and her mother-in-law made them the day before the party. They cut the head out of butcher paper, added yarn from the dollar store, and stuffed the heads with leftover plastic grocery store bags. Then, they hot-glued in a dowel rod and tied a rope on for the reins. Adrian says “everything is held together with hot glue, so there were a few burnt fingers but it was a cheap and fun project! We had sticker eyes and mouths that the kids used to decorate their horses.”

Each guest went home with their own miniature petting zoo – how cute is that?! The felt barns were a bargain from the Target dollar aisle.

Here’s Max, really enjoying his smash cake – atta boy! : )

The cutest lil’ farmer in all of Arizona. : ) Happy birthday, Max! Thank you so much, Adrian!

Photography: Adrian Hindes, Canyon Photography
Party printables and water bottle labels: Chickabug
Cowboy hats: Oriental Trading

Country-Western theme paper goods and printables from Chickabug

Shop for personalized Country-Western Theme party paper goods and printables here.
Or, check out more Country-Western Theme party ideas on Pinterest or here on my blog!

Comments

Monday, April 18th, 2011 at 11:25 pm
    Christine @ Pure Joy Events says:
    Such a cute party! So many great details. The stick horses are my favorite!
      Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 at 2:20 pm
      Pluffmuddstudio says:
      Thanks! I am totally borrowing that idea for Cate's party! Love the bowling too! Perfect for toddlers! Thank you for sharing.
    Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 at 12:14 am
    Pluffmuddstudio says:
    Love this theme! I am doing a western theme for Cate's 2nd birthday. Love the wreath.. Can you link up the vendor or tutorial?
      Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 at 12:55 am
      Heather - Chickabug says:
      Thanks, Christina! : ) Though wouldn't you know that the wreath was the ONLY thing I didn't bug Adrian for details about?! I wrote to her to ask about it. I'll let you know what I find out!
      Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 at 2:18 am
      Heather - Chickabug says:
      UPDATE! Adrian said, "it's a straw wreath form (I left the plastic on) and I ripped 1-2" sections of red bandanna fabric. I double-knotted the strips around the wreath, then tied on the red 'M' for Max with rope. Easy peasy!"
    Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 at 2:29 pm
    Angela Cargile says:
    PRECIOUS! Love it all!
    Wednesday, April 20th, 2011 at 4:03 am
    PartyMom says:
    What a cute party! Love the DIY milk bar and the farm bowling!
    Thursday, September 29th, 2011 at 6:13 am
    Vintagemommaandhertwins says:
    I just saw your party on pinterest and had to come over and read all about it!! I love it...and the stick horses are adorable!!
    Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 at 8:21 pm
    Yesenia says:
    Heather what a fun party! i stumbled upon your blog while searching "Country theme parties" and love what you did with the event. My son is about to turn 1 and even though our theme will be Toy Story, I really want to concentrate more on Woody's cowboy side. Thank you for the inspiration!
      Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 at 7:12 pm
      Thanks Yesenia - you're so sweet!! I'm glad you found some ideas here. : ) I *adore* Toy Story - I hope your son's party is wonderful!
    Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 at 3:13 pm
    Victoria Garcia says:
    Love the stick horses! I tried making one last night and it didn't quite look like yours. Any tips you could offer? It took about an hour to do one, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!!
      Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 at 3:32 pm
      I've never tried making a stick horse from paper like the ones Adrian made, but I have an alternate idea - here's a tutorial on how to make stick horses using socks:

Friday, June 29th, 2012 at 9:49 pm
    Kara says:
    Came across your blog while searching for cowboy party ideas. My son will be turning 2 and love all your ideas!
      Saturday, June 30th, 2012 at 8:24 am
      Thanks Kara!! I'm glad you found me - I'll keep the ideas coming! : )
    Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 at 9:42 am
    Lisa Burke says:
    awesome. Love the theme
      Thursday, January 17th, 2013 at 4:57 pm
      Thank you Lisa! : )
    Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013 at 4:39 pm
    Marti Jennings says:
    So many great ideas. And the sweetest lil cowpoke! Thanks!!
      Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013 at 11:57 am
      Seriously! Isn't he the cutest lil' guy?? : )

1. Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 at 10:44 am
    western party favor ideas
    [...] Adrian of Canyon Photography picked up simple dollar bin felt barns from Target added a few animals and sent each child home with a miniature petting zoo! (via Chickabug) [...]
  2. Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 at 5:59 pm
    Farm Animals Cupcake Tower
    [...] has a ton of cute ideas.  I’m loving these stick horses made with butcher paper and yarn.  Click here for more (like the ‘Farm Bowling’ game, [...]
  3. Wednesday, July 11th, 2012 at 4:07 am
    Western Country Party | Western Country Life Style
    [...] vous pouvez retrouver ici et [...]
  4. Thursday, March 21st, 2013 at 6:09 am
    Birthday Party Ideas (Since It’s My Birthday) |
    [...] have a soft spot for anything country and I especially like this Country Western Party, which would be so much for a little girl or boy. Best part is, the horses won’t make a [...]